Moving a safe...stupid questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So say you're moving across town...do you move your safes first thing or save 'em to the very end? I know I can handle two of 'em "on my own" but the 3rd I had professionally installed so didnt mess with it and its 300# heavier than the 2nd big one.

Only reason I can think of choosing doing it first or last is picking last...as if SOMETHING happens and you get hurt...now moving everything else isnt doable. If you save it for the end and something goes wrong, at least the rest of your junk is moved and you can just hire a safe mover for the safes.

Thoughts?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I move heavy stuff with hydraulics and a tractor with a front loader.
Back after high school in the summer I worked for Bekins Van lines in the moving business. With the right equipment moving heavy objects is pretty easy. No hydraulics, just two men and the right equipment. We moved a 9' concert grand piano off a 4' stage at the civic center to another building on a regular basis with two guys.
If it's going into the garage, get the price from professional movers and then look at renting a tractor with a front loader and see if you can do it yourself. If the heavy safe is going into the house, you might want to look at the moving companies to prevent damage to floors/carpet, etc.
Some of those teflon disk's placed under the safe work well across carpet. Might look at them.
What is the total weight of the safe? If it's 500lbs or less a refrigerator 2 wheeler would move it around pretty easily.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So we moved the medium 450# with a refrigerator dolly no problem.
Small is 350# and big is 750#. Its the 750 that kinda concerns me but I dont think its too terribly bad. I paid SCI to bring it into the house and bolt it to the floor when I bought it.
They will be going in a room on carpet, likely on a metal tube frame to secure all 3 together making one heavy ass structure that wont fit out a door. I'm working out the logistics of the frame but thats the easy part :)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather move the heaviest stuff first. You make more mistakes when you're tired, and dropping a box of books on your foot won't do nearly as much damage as losing your grip on the dolly and letting a 500lb safe come down on it.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A pry bar and some leverage will easily lift a corner so you can use wooden dowels to roll it around wherever, plywood as Dennis mentioned, may make this easier. You can probably lay it over on a trailer with a couple of friends, maybe use a strap and a winch to help. Slow and steady is the key to keeping injury-free.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always moved gun cabinets and safes when it's dark, either really early or late. Fewer folks to take notice of what's going on....

Latest posts

Top Bottom