MS Word

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know how I can get my hijacked/locked out Word files opened? Mrs. got new desktop and 'trial period' is now past. New Windows11 locked all Word files, even old ones. Fixed mine a few years ago but can't seem to get her done.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Search for all the google fu things you can find. I moved over to Libra Office freebie quite a while ago and never looked back. There are some sharp guys out there. You might do the free install to use and see if it might have an option to crack the file open. Good luck.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know how I can get my hijacked/locked out Word files opened? Mrs. got new desktop and 'trial period' is now past. New Windows11 locked all Word files, even old ones. Fixed mine a few years ago but can't seem to get her done.
How are they locked. Can you not open them or just can't edit them?

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Opening Word and it comes up with a sign in overlay that I can't get around. It covers the doc and is stuck on top. Says to enter email and it will send a code, never sends the email.

Few years back I searched and found a link that led to doing some line item change deep in the bowels of something, just can't remember what it was or where I found it.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Opening Word and it comes up with a sign in overlay that I can't get around. It covers the doc and is stuck on top. Says to enter email and it will send a code, never sends the email.

Few years back I searched and found a link that led to doing some line item change deep in the bowels of something, just can't remember what it was or where I found it.
That sounds like MSWord is setup for 2FA or something. I would suggest you try LibreOffice (the successor to OpenOffice) and see if they will open.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/?type=win-x86_64&version=24.2.1&lang=en-US

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the above are good ideas .. for later. OP needs to open Word documents.

OP, are you getting an option to subscribe to the new Word (which is a monthly lease fee)? Cause, what you're describing makes no sense.

All I can suggest is to buy an older Word program (like, 2007 pro) off fleabay, get the discs, install it and see if that works.

(My advice is worth what you paid for it.) :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom