Must do's in Colorado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What direction will you be taking to get there? That will help us suggest stops along the way. We generally take I-40 to Amarillo, Highway 87 north from Amarillo to Dumas and Dalhart in Texas and then Clayton and Raton in New Mexico. At Raton, we take I-25 north to Colorado Springs. If you take that route, between Clayton and Raton is the town of Capulin, and north of Capulin is Capulin Mountain which is an old Volcano that one can drive up onto. Believe me, it isn't very big as far as mountains go.

What are your interests in seeing?

Things to do in Colorado Springs

If you like scenery and getting off the beaten path, check out Phantom Canyon Road. It starts off of Highway 50 between Pueblo and Canon City and goes north and west up into some of the mining country. The turnoff is a few miles west of the Highway 50 and Highway 115 junction.

In Canon City, besides the Royal Gorge, one can check out the prison museum. It is on the west side of town back a bit and to the east of the prison there.

If you like petrified stuff, there is Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument up Highway 24 from Colorado Springs and south of the town of Florissant.

While its nothing like Mesa Verde, there is a site called Manitou Cliff Dwellings that is really more like a "manufactured" site, but still kind of interesting.

My thoughts exactly.

I highly recommend driving Phantom Canyon Road. The OSU Geology Field Camp is in Canon City and one street East of Phantom Canyon Road. I spent 5 weeks there and loved it. That will take you from Canon City up through Victor and Cripple Creek and then to the backside of Pike's Peak near Florissant and Woodland Park. Victor and Cripple Creek are cool gold mining towns. You should take the Cripple Creek mining tour that takes you several hundred feet down into a gold mine. They show you how it used to be done,.. I'm glad Geologists get to work with computers these days,... Plan a whole day for that,... you won't be driving very fast.

I drive out there by heading out through Enid, Woodward, Guymon and Boise City. Then hook up with HWY 87 in Clayton, NM and head out towards Sierra Madre and Capulin. Capulin is a cool little volcanic 'pimple' that you can drive up into.

Enjoy your trip!!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.

I highly recommend driving Phantom Canyon Road. The OSU Geology Field Camp is in Canon City and one street East of Phantom Canyon Road. I spent 5 weeks there and loved it. That will take you from Canon City up through Victor and Cripple Creek and then to the backside of Pike's Peak near Florissant and Woodland Park. Victor and Cripple Creek are cool gold mining towns. You should take the Cripple Creek mining tour that takes you several hundred feet down into a gold mine. They show you how it used to be done,.. I'm glad Geologists get to work with computers these days,... Plan a whole day for that,... you won't be driving very fast.

I drive out there by heading out through Enid, Woodward, Guymon and Boise City. Then hook up with HWY 87 in Clayton, NM and head out towards Sierra Madre and Capulin. Capulin is a cool little volcanic 'pimple' that you can drive up into.

Enjoy your trip!!

Are you thinking of the Shelf Road? Phantom Canyon Road starts off of Highway 50 quite a ways out east of Canon City. Shelf road is pretty good as well, but I prefer Phantom Canyon Road, especially during the fall.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you thinking of the Shelf Road? Phantom Canyon Road starts off of Highway 50 quite a ways out east of Canon City. Shelf road is pretty good as well, but I prefer Phantom Canyon Road, especially during the fall.

No sir. The OSU Geology Field Camp is out East of Canon City just like you say but it is on Upper Beaver Creek Rd. Phantom Canyon Rd is less than a mile to the west of it. It will take you all the way up to Victor and Cripple Creek. I guess when I say that the field camp is in Canon City,... I mean it's closer to Canon City than any other city,.. mailing address of Canon City.

Also, another really cool feature near Canon City is Red Canyon. It's just north of Canon City and worth a half day hike.

SL381494.JPG

Enjoy,
Carl

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this is looking at the same canyon from up on top of Twin Mountain. This is looking northeast towards Pikes Peak,... it is just out of the frame on the right.

SL381664.JPG

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool. I hadn't heard of Red Canyon and I have relatives that live in Canon City. Any directions on how to get to the trailhead to hike out there?

Also, have you ever been up over the Skyline Drive? I took a photo of a Kite (I think) that was almost down to my eye level up on that ridge.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry, I have been to Skyline Drive. We spent two weeks mapping the Grape Creek area which is a southern extension of that Skyline hogback. If you look closely, you can see some dinosaur footprints up on top of Skyline. That is a great picture.

Red Canyon is up north of town on Fourmile Rd (Hwy 9). Take it north until you see the signs but I think the turnoff is road F24. Turn left, drive into the park and there are 2-3 parking turnouts to choose from. It is some fun hiking and some great spots to have lunch.

Here is a pic of the Grape Creek area looking north towards town. Canon City proper is just to the right,.. Skyline Dr is almost straight ahead if you follow the hogback as it curves to the north. Pikes Peak is the snowcapped peak at the upper left.
SL381502.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom