My father's stamp collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father, a couple years before he passed shipped me his entire stamp collection. He had collected stamps since he was a young child. He passed away at the age of 93, so he collected for many years.

I forget how many boxes I have, I think six or seven. I have only opened a couple and gave them a casual look.

I wouldn’t know a valuable stamp from a worthless stamp and not really interested in delving into the learning process. Frankly, I would not know where to begin without a steep learning curve.

The question I have, does anyone know of a reputable dealer or expert in stamps in the OKC Metro area. I am simply curious if any part of the collection is valuable. I’m not sure I am interested in selling, as I will likely pass the collection onto one of my grand kids. However, one never knows there might be one or two stamps worth selling to augment my retirement funds. I have no clue. Anyone have ideas?

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No matter what you choose to do with it, that must be pretty cool to look at all of them and see what he put together.

I have had these boxes for about 5 years and only opened a couple and took a casual look-see. Now if my father had collected antique guns and related stuff, they would have been opened as soon as Fed-Ex delivered them to my door! :)

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would probably take photos of the collection, and email to stamp collectors around the net. See if anything shakes loose. Might even contact Antiques Roadshow.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you don’t want to delve into the hobby, but I’d do some research first. If you just take them to a dealer, you’re going to get lowballed from the get-go like a used car dealer offering to buy grandmas low mileage car cause she can’t drive anymore.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d approach from the standpoint that you’re looking to get an insurance valuation/appraisal and need to know the true values. From there, you can decide what might be a reasonable sales price if there are some you may wish to move along.

My impression though is stamps, much like other collectibles, are typically now dropping in value due to low demand. Not a lot of 20-somethings collecting stamps. Or baseball cards. Or Depression glass. Etc.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d approach from the standpoint that you’re looking to get an insurance valuation/appraisal and need to know the true values. From there, you can decide what might be a reasonable sales price if there are some you may wish to move along.

My impression though is stamps, much like other collectibles, are typically now dropping in value due to low demand. Not a lot of 20-somethings collecting stamps. Or baseball cards. Or Depression glass. Etc.

You are correct. Young people are now into other things such as the new fad of buying NFTs. Speaking of baseball cards, my father collected them also and passed them to my older brother, who passed them to me and like a foolish kid I sold the whole collection for $10.00. They would have been worth a fortune later on. Lot's of Babe Ruth's, Ty Cobb's, etc. Ah Well!

STS11

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father, a couple years before he passed shipped me his entire stamp collection. He had collected stamps since he was a young child. He passed away at the age of 93, so he collected for many years.

I forget how many boxes I have, I think six or seven. I have only opened a couple and gave them a casual look.

I wouldn’t know a valuable stamp from a worthless stamp and not really interested in delving into the learning process. Frankly, I would not know where to begin without a steep learning curve.

The question I have, does anyone know of a reputable dealer or expert in stamps in the OKC Metro area. I am simply curious if any part of the collection is valuable. I’m not sure I am interested in selling, as I will likely pass the collection onto one of my grand kids. However, one never knows there might be one or two stamps worth selling to augment my retirement funds. I have no clue. Anyone have ideas?[/QUO

My father was a stamp collector, since the late 1930s. When he passed, I received a six foot pile of three ring binders full of stamps.
I took them to a dealer. After going through them, he offered $220. I went to another, $250. I sent them to a dealer in LA, $210. It seems that nobody wants them. There are not any new collectors, that I could find.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years back I had a similar problem. Sometime back in ancient history I acquired three large books of all kinds of stamps. Like you I didn't know which side of a stamp to lick...didn't want to learn. I took one book at a time...took 12 close up pics through the book and run them on ebay. Much to my surprise they did really good. Started a dog fight. Several wanted additional pics. Some wanted a deal. Unless you know what you are doing don't sell out early or take any deals just hang in to the bitter end. I learned that collectors keep an eye on stamps that are on ebay. I am sure that I sold some bargains but over all I was happy with the sale. Each book due to the competition brought what seemed to me a fair price. Good luck.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years back I had a similar problem. Sometime back in ancient history I acquired three large books of all kinds of stamps. Like you I didn't know which side of a stamp to lick...didn't want to learn. I took one book at a time...took 12 close up pics through the book and run them on ebay. Much to my surprise they did really good. Started a dog fight. Several wanted additional pics. Some wanted a deal. Unless you know what you are doing don't sell out early or take any deals just hang in to the bitter end. I learned that collectors keep an eye on stamps that are on ebay. I am sure that I sold some bargains but over all I was happy with the sale. Each book due to the competition brought what seemed to me a fair price. Good luck.

Sounds like a plan. To do that I'll have to learn how to navigate EBAY, always something new to learn. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom