My first deer hunt (hopefully will have pics later)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm moments away from leaving the house and going on my first official deer hunt. Pretty stinkin' excited, I won't lie. The details of my situation dictate that I only shoot a doe, but I dont' really care because I just want the meat. I hopefully will get to show you a picture of her later.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go for the doe! I usually won't shoot a buck anyway....Antlers are tough no matter how long you pressure cook them and not a lot of flavor.

Good luck to you and be safe. You are not alone out there.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember my first few years as a young teenager and I could never sleep the night before. I know how you feel. Hope you get some good pics for us.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember my first few years as a young teenager and I could never sleep the night before. I know how you feel. Hope you get some good pics for us.

I have a few. It was definitely a success. We had three of us hunting plus one other driving us around and what not. All three of us had a doe by about 8:00, which was pretty good considering not arriving to the field until almost 7:15!!

They told me where to go and while walking to it I scared up five does (I was by myself by this point). I suck at judging distance, I mean suck bad, so I took a shot at what I thought was 200 yards. Turned out to be about 300 when I went looking so I think I undershot her. Immediately following I figured what the heck, I'll shoot at that coyote trotting along too. (never found him but didn't look to hard.

Finally I accept there was no hit and went and found a good spot by a downed tree. I'm sitting there about 10 minutes and hear a buck do two grunts off to the side about 300 yards back where I just walked through. 4 minutes after that and I remembered my cheap binoculars were seriously out of focus. So I got them in focus, and while I was pulling them down noticed a doe through them, filling up nearly the whole field of view. Pull them down and she is about 150 yards out I'd guess. I hear a shot in the distance and that spooks her and she runs straight at me with a buck chasing her. She turns broadside about 75 yards out, I whistle to get her to stop, and pull the trigger. She jumps and takes off and he is hot on her tail. She goes behind a bush and just before he does he stops. I see him just standing behind it. I decide to play and sneak up, and finally realize he is pretty content standing next to her carcass, so I stand up about 40 yards from him and he looks at me.... ..... I waive my hands and he runs 20 yards and turns broadside again, so I wave my hands again. I had about a 15 minute window where I could have easily shot him at any point. (He was a nice typical looking 6 point, maybe 8 but not sure). 20 minutes later I'm talking to my girlfriend about 150 yards from the deer on the phone and see him come out of the thickets, goes back in and resurfaces right next to her. So I walked to about 70 yards from him AGAIN and finally he runs off. The end.

Moral of the story: don't just do what your penis tells you to do because sometimes you'll be so horny you are just absolutely retarded.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading! I'll get picks once they are emailed to me.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai685.photobucket.com_albums_vv214_shootermcgavin_buck.jpg
a cell phone pic of the buck. look hard enough and you can see the doe laying close by.

ai685.photobucket.com_albums_vv214_shootermcgavin_corydoe.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom