My High-Fallutin' but Low-Brow & Low-Budget Whiskey Taste Test - Part I

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am a bit of a Bourbon drinker. I like good bourbons, with a good to high Rye mash bill. Bulleit, Four Roses small batch, Booker's, Blanton's, Buffalo Trace. All great stuff. Blanton's is my favorite if pricey but Bulleit is my preferred purchase due to the great price for a great drink. For the record, I am not a fan of wheated Bourbons; I will leave you guys all the Maker's Mark or Weller you care to drink.

But I wondered... what about all this cheap stuff? Is any of it any good? Is there a diamond in the rough out there?

I figured I would try some out. :drunk5:

I wandered into my local package store and browsed around. First, to recount what I have tried in the past. I have had Evan Williams, the basic cheap Four Roses, and Rebel Yell before. They are all pretty decent. I think the Four Roses (13.49 per 750mL) was technically the most superior. I liked the E Dub the best, and at 8.99 per 750mL it's a steal. The Rebel Yell (13.99 per 750mL was drinkable, but tasted somewhat watered down... smooth but a bit weak. Alsp remembered Early Times, but didn't even note the price today as I remember how I did not care for it much in my college days.

I am trying to keep the price at $15 or less per fifth. That is deliberate, as it knocks out some stand-by brands such as Jim Beam Devil's Cut, Wild Turkey 81, George Dickel 12 (I know, not technically a Bourbon, but good). I want to make this a challenge. I want to find the best of the "swill."

I picked up four half-pints to try out:

[Broken External Image]

Started with the Kessler. Not a Bourbon but a blended. Meaning 20% whiskey and 80 neutral spirits. So basically Bourbon cut with vodka. Not offensive, but has about as much flavor as diluted Bourbon can have. Read: None. It's like a Canadian whiskey, which is basically the same thing. Meh.

Sunny Brook tastes just like the Kessler, with a bit of isopropyl added. It too is a blended, but is more (cheap) whiskey and less grain alcohol on the proportions. Blech. I will pass. I may even pour out the rest of that one and keep the Kessler.

Trying the Evan Williams, it's evident I am a Bourbon snob. Or at least, a fan of it over other whiskey. I get the notes that define a Bourbon. It has taste. A bit sweet (particularly when recalling the Four Roses yellow label) but definitely passable. There is better out there, indeed, but I think at less than half of the price of Bulleit, it is competitive for what it is. I'm pleased!

Lastly, the Old Charter 8 year. It's a lot like the Rebel Yell - somewhat weaker and less Bourbon-y. Not as much corn sweetness as the Evan, and I like the sweetness to balance out some spice. Not a bad product, but I prefer the Evan even if they were the same price. As Old Charter is pricier, it loses out.

Still to try: Fighting Cock, Benchmark, Old Crow, Old Grand Dad, Elijah Craig (I loved the 18 year), Ancient Age? Any Others?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get your scotch out of my thread, you $60 per bottle snob! It suits your Bimmer well. I'll stick to my POS Dodge and my 'Merican rotgut.

Srsly, some people...

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of a silly question, how do you drink your bourbon? On the rocks, with water, straight up?
I'm not a whiskey drinker since having bad reactions to it in college. It got me plastered. Stuck with beer the rest of my life.
Got introduced to tequila and now enjoy it. I drink it straight with a little lemon juice added. Luna Azule is good for the price, btw.
Just wondering how to drink your stuff.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drink on the rocks with a splash of water.

Aside from my Bourbon, the only spirit I drink is Tequila. I drink an Anejo the same way as my bourbon: water and ice. Currently I have the Hornitos, which is surprisingly good. Lots of black pepper which I enjoy. I have heard the LunAzul is good stuff and priced well; I may try it as my local package store has it on special.

Edit: Post 3k. Wow. Let's keep this back to the topic of whiskey for the time being. EWill is legit. It won out this evening. Update your bracket's y'all.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drink on the rocks with a splash of water.

Aside from my Bourbon, the only spirit I drink is Tequila. I drink an Anejo the same way as my bourbon: water and ice. Currently I have the Hornitos, which is surprisingly good. Lots of black pepper which I enjoy. I have heard the LunAzul is good stuff and priced well; I may try it as my local package store has it on special.

Edit: Post 3k. Wow. Let's keep this back to the topic of whiskey for the time being. EWill is legit. It won out this evening. Update your bracket's y'all.

I'll begin by saying that there is no "bad" way to drink bourbon. I've been known to sip it neat or on the rocks and I've been known to mix it with a soft drink (gasp) when I want to gulp it down. Of the cheap bourbons that I've had, the Elijah Craig is far and away my favorite. Of the expensive bourbons that I've had Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare are pretty much tied as my "favorites".

If you ever find yourself wanting to try a nice, "expensive" anejo, give El Diamante del Cielo a shot if you haven't already. It can usually be found for $60-70.

Since I've greatly reduced the amount of alcohol that I consume over the years, I've come to adopt a "quality over quantity" approach when visiting the local spirit shop. A bottle of bourbon or tequila will last several months for me so I have no problem spending a little extra money for the good stuff. Life is too short to drink cheap liquor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom