My High-Fallutin' but Low-Brow & Low-Budget Whiskey Taste Test - Part I

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No cheap whiskey test would be complete without the inclusion of Canadian Mist...

It is the nectar of the gods. That is all.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was expecting the OP's review to grow more and more incoherent as he tried all those whiskeys while writing...

So did I :P

I only poured a small amount for each one, maybe 1.5 ounces. Splashed a bit of water, and 1 ice cube. Overall my 4 drinks was maybe 1 to 1.5 of what I see as a good pour at a bar, and certainly maybe only one pour at home :D I also paced this over an hour and a half, so I could take my time actually tasting the stuff.

I will admit that I figured that the blends would be pretty foul, but you never really know unless you try them. The Kessler seems not bad to the clean palate at first, but after getting into the two Bourbons, even cheap Bourbons, one realizes how truly inferior it is.

No cheap whiskey test would be complete without the inclusion of Canadian Mist...

It is the nectar of the gods. That is all.

I prefer Bourbon, so I am sticking to Bourbons or the cheap Kentucky/Tennesee knock offs. Canadians, Irish, and Scotch were deliberate omissions.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Brother,
I think you'll be surprised with Jim Beam Rye and Fighting Cock...don't let the cheap price fool you.
Also,try Crown Royal Black,not American but its not bad.

***I have a buddy that has a pretty cool review of American bourbon and whiskey,check it out.
sourmashmanifesto.com

Also,Ralfy has a good website....more on Scotch,but he is reviewing American whiskey.
I can't remember the site name...ralphy.com. or ralfy.com

Keep drinkin' and posting your findings!!!

Cohiba

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Brother,
I think you'll be surprised with Jim Beam Rye and Fighting Cock...don't let the cheap price fool you.
Also,try Crown Royal Black,not American but its not bad.

I've have the Beam Rye as well as Bulleit Rye. I miss the sweetness of the Bourbon, from the corn. Drinkable, but not as balanced. I like a higher rye mash bill in my bourbon (as opposed to a wheated, like Maker's or Weller) but the straight rye was too much for me.

I will pick up 4 more sometime soon and post up a review. Kind of build a bracket, of sorts. This one EWill is the victor. I will pick out more and continually compare and contrast to I narrow it down to one victor (for my tastes and budget).

Next four will like include Fighting Cock, Jim Beam white, Elijah Craig plus one more recommendation. I'm open to suggestions :)

I am thinking Very Old Barton, Bottled in Bond, if I can find some in T Town.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very Old Barton..bottled in bond....is NOT in Oklahoma. I saw that my buddy Jason(sourmashmanifesto.com) rated it favorable and it was priced right. I called the maker of VOB..and they don't distribute it ...yet...in Oklahoma. Sooooo, on the Vegas trip in April, guess what I'm looking for...yep, VOB, along with an antique slot machine. If you get a bottle let me know how it was ....they may sell it in Missouri or Arkansas.

Don't forget....Knob Creek, Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack,( really smooth..if I remember correctly, twice distilled) and Jack Daniels Single Barrel(finishing my 3rd bottle so far)
***Of course my #1, my love, my go to every Friday...heck, twice a month my favorite liquor store expects me to be there for...George Dickel #12.

***Don't laugh*** You can always mix 7up and Southern Comfort....many a coon hunting night I mixed this and a few times I drank it straight. It'll keep you warm on a cold coon hunting night!!!

Cohiba

a little side note/FYI:Rye and Canadian whisky

Various Canadian whiskies
It is a common misconception that Canadian whiskies are primarily made using rye grain.[1] Although many Canadian whiskies are labelled as "rye whisky", the use of rye grain is not dictated by law, and whisky products of all grain types are often generically referred to as (and may legally be labelled as) "rye whisky" in Canada. Under Canadian law, the term "Canadian rye whisky" is simply synonymous with "Canadian whisky",[6] and the primary mash ingredient in most Canadian whisky is corn.

In contrast, the U.S. definition of "rye whisky" prevents a low rye content whisky from being labelled "rye" unless it is labelled as a "blended" rye whisky, and approximately 10% of such a "blended rye whisky" must still be from rye.[8] The U.S. also requires that if a whisky contains colouring, flavouring or distillates with 80% or greater alcohol content, this must be acknowledged on the label by including the term "blended" in the description on the label.[8] Canadian law does not have these requirements. Moreover, U.S. law requires at least 20% of the content of a blended whisky to be "straight whisky" rather than neutral spirits or "light" (near-neutral) whisky,[8] which is not required under Canadian law. However, U.S. law permits "blended" whisky to contain up to 80% un-aged grain neutral spirits (with an age statement on the label that refers only to the "straight" part of the blend), while Canadian law requires that all of the spirits in a Canadian whisky be aged for at least three years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom