My Mosin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

Marksman
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping this might help some folks.

I apologize in advance for the screw heads; they were taken apart literally hundreds of times. I've since replaced them and found a proper bit for my torque wrench that will not cause damage to the new ones, even over the long-term!

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Current_20Rifle_20Configuration_3.jpg

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Current_20Rifle_20Configuration_4.jpg

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Current_20Rifle_20Configuration_prototypefront.jpg

Front view of the prototype that started my business...

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Current_20Rifle_20Configuration_prototypeback.jpg

... and the rear.

The action is shimmed and the barrel corked:

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Current_20Rifle_20Configuration_cork.jpg

I also made some cool things like a two-stage Finn M39-style trigger. Instead of pins, it has bearings :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWDitIiapo

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Trigger_4.jpg

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Trigger_1.jpg

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Trigger_2.jpg

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Trigger_3.jpg

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Trigger_radiusedsear.jpg

You can barely see a couple bearings under the sear.

I'm not going to risk selling it though. Liability. Dangit.

This rifle is capable of this (or rather, I'm capable of doing this, with my 20/55 sight; I'm sure the rifle's much better):

i1147.photobucket.com_albums_o560_Smith_Sights_Current_20Rifleb2582211d3b66e64961046772f69c785.jpg

I had to work for that group, but as long as I have a target I can see, I can do about that. I take coyotes at 200 yards. That's about as far as I can see, uncorrected.

I know what these rifles can do and I love to see folks wring them out. Heck, a Finnish M39 had to have at least a 1.3MOA capability to be accepted into service!

Josh

Josh Smith

Marksman
Reaction score
Love the front sight!

Ditch the "barrel cork", free-float the barrel, torque front screw to 30 in/lb and rear to 10 in/lb: watch the vertical disappear :)

I want to advertise here -- I make those for a living. A rather large selection. Been trying to get ahold of someone to give me a price quote!

I tried floating the barrel, but it just started shooting in circles and opened up a little. The cork is only at the front node that the Russian snipers wrapped in oiled felt to damp the harmonics. The rest is floated.

Front and rear are both torqued to 50 in-lbs. Strange rifle; it likes it that tight. I've shimmed it properly but haven't pillar bedded it like an M39; I need to get on that since it does like the action being as tight as it is.

The vertical stringing was probably me, by the way. I remember shooting that target and I could not quite get my breathing under control as I had bronchitis. I like to fire at NRP but when one coughs at NRP, it makes it tough...

Anyway, who would know about advert pricing?

Thanks,

Josh

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nice rifle! Can you take a pic to show us what the sight picture looks like? Iv also heard that if you glass bed the back of the receiver where the screw goes (under the bolt if its open) it can increase accuracy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom