MY NEWest PROJECT ALMOST complete!! (at home pistol range)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rained thursday went out and thought it would be a pond but it was suprizingly dry. the sand does not get muddy just packs, this is on a hill so really the only water that would flow into it is what rain fall falls directly in it.

there is nothing back there for at least 1500'
there is a sonic about 2000' if not farther away then past that back to nothing for at least a mile maybe 1.5 miles

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to be sure, don't be afraid to be a range nazi, when it comes to safety and controlled fire on your range. Probably never happen, but know that 2000ft is an easy high angle lob for a pistol or 22lr. And 1.5 miles is easy for any cf rifle round. Besides me raining on your great work, I'm really impressed and wish my pile of dirt range was anywhere close to yours.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man you list your location as OKC, I know you must be out in BFE OKC, I wish I could build something like that in my backyard, but I think the wal-mart and my neighbors would frown upon it! :anyone:

So where abouts are you located exactly? (not like specific adress exactly) although if you want to include it, don't be surprised to see me out shooting when you come home. :fullauto:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the new range.
Oklahoma is fairly liberal on range building and noise issues, but the legal system is not.
For the record, I'm associated with the range in Ponca City, and have a private range at home as well.
There are noise requirements about how many DB's are allowed at the property line, etc.
Check with the NRA. They have reps in each state that are familiar with the rules and regulations of range building.
Our range in Ponca is within their guidelines, and is under the same design as the range at the Whittington Center in Raton NM.
You will get rounds leaving the range even if you only have wood supports, unless you have "caves" for the target stands.
I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of tracer in the past, with the bullets doing crazy things just hitting flat ground. Introduce a piece of wood hit on the top edge, and its out of there.
Our drop out area is 4 miles.
My home range has the "cave" to put the target stand in, built from RR ties, with dirt over the top to contain anything. A .300 Win Mag FMJ will go right through a RR tie BTW. I built a 1" thick steel plate, (4'X4'), propped it up with supports at a 45 degree angle thinking the bullets would deflect into the ground.
Not so. Pistol, and MZ will deflect, but center fire round make big mushroom like dents. .300 Win Mag rounds will hit the steel, and cause a bulge on the back side of the 1" plate.
Two or three shots in the same spot, and the bullet leaves the steel and goes down range.
We started using hanging plates behind the target to absorb the impact, and that worked pretty well.
Hope this answers some questions.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks great...I'm jealous. It's such a hassle for me to shoot in OKC...it's either Edmond Heartland which is expensive or H&H which is expensive AND unbearably hot in the summer to the point we just don't shoot much until the weather turns to fall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom