my reloads burn dirty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 45 ACP reloads seem to burn dirtier than factory rounds. The spent bass seems to have a lot of soot on them.
I am using 4.5 grains of TiteGroup Powder.
Is burring dirty normal for TiteGroup or am I screwing up?
it does not seem to be as bad in my 9mm.
It is not that big of deal, considering I clean everything right after shooting.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never used Titegroup, but I know some powders burn dirtier than others.

Unique is Horrible. However it cleans up easy and gives good results so I continue to use it.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TiteGroup burns relatively clean in mid and full power charges weights. You may not be running enough crimp. If you are taper crimping, which is preferred for semi-autos, you should be .469" on the tip edge of the case where it meets the bullet.

If you are running plain cast lead bullets with TiteGroup you will experience leading. TG burns pretty hot compared to some other powders and will burn the bullet base enough to create a nasty barrel. No problem with TG in jacketed or plated bullets.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 45 ACP reloads seem to burn dirtier than factory rounds. The spent bass seems to have a lot of soot on them.
I am using 4.5 grains of TiteGroup Powder.
Is burring dirty normal for TiteGroup or am I screwing up?
it does not seem to be as bad in my 9mm.
It is not that big of deal, considering I clean everything right after shooting.

What weight bullet?

I normally use 5.0 grains TG with a 230 jacketed grain bullet. Even going down to 4.6, I haven't noticed it being excessively dirty. I could see having issues with lighter bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom