Mystery vehicle making traffic stops on I-35

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tribal police are often cross-deputized with the local County, as I have read elsewhere on the forum. If acting in that capacity, however, the fines would have to go to the County if the infraction occurred in a non-tribal jurisdiction. Or so I would assume.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question about Tribal Police. Here around the Shawnee area, they set up road blocks and stop people on the highways all the time. I've heard that if you are pulled over by them, your fines/court etc all go thru the Tribal agencies. I do know all of Pott counties dispatching is done thru the Tribal facilities. So my question is this, if the Indian Tribes are considered their own sovereign nation and exempt from most federal rules, wouldn't that exempt them from being able to perform LE duties on non Indian land. In other words, could the Canadian Royal Mounties do traffic stops on HW-9 on a Friday night? Could the Mexican police set up road blocks and make arrests and issue citations?

Pott Co has it's own dispatch. Currently having unsuccessful talks about merging with Shawnee PD. The CPN tribe did bail them county out for about a year when they didn't have money to repair/upgrade their broken outdated dispatch system. The tribal cops are cross deputized with the county so they are acting as county sheriff deputies when stopping folks on the county roads. From what I've read in the newspaper the current sheriff and past county sheriffs depend heavily on the cross commissioned deputy program to help support his fulltime deputies out in the rural areas and he/they favor the setup.

The only time your ticket might go through tribal courts is if the infraction happened on trust property. But would most likely go to federal district court. No there is another tribe in that area that has some pure asshats working for it. It's the one that doesn't have a real reservation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom