Natural way to kill poison ivy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly natural, but Round-up makes a special solution for poison ivy. If this is growing amongst plants you don't want to kill, I would suggest you soak the soil (or wait for a day-long rain) and pull them up by the roots. Wear gloves and wrap strong trash bags around your arms. When you pull the plant up, pull it inside the bag by turning the bag inside-out. Seal and put everything, including gloves, in the trash. Do not burn. I've been exposed so much through the years that my body reacts terribly whenever I get exposed.

If you want to be extra careful, pre-treat yourself with Tecnu, then wash with Tecnu once completed. I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. Kinda hard to prove a negative.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you were closer I'd come pull it for you, I'm not allergic to it. Never had an issue with the stuff, and I used to brush up against it daily wearing shorts at one of my old jobs. My wife gets withing 20 ft of it she start's itching though ( I think it's a mental thing, lol! )

Speak for yourself, John ... :shocked: :lookaroun :wink2: :rotflmao:

I guess I shouldn't assume from the banana hammock pic that the OP is a male, I apologize.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you were closer I'd come pull it for you, I'm not allergic to it. Never had an issue with the stuff, and I used to brush up against it daily wearing shorts at one of my old jobs. My wife gets withing 20 ft of it she start's itching though ( I think it's a mental thing, lol! )

Could be mental, but probably not. Tiny airborne droplets of oil exude from the plants at times, and persons who are sensitive to it can break out with no direct contact with the plant.

As for your resistance, I was in my mid 40s before I had my first problem with it, and I grew up rolling (once literally when I fell down a creek bank) in it. I am still not very sensitive to it, but continued exposure can overcome your resistance, so don't touch it.

There is a home remedy that an old boss of mine gave me. Works well on me. Simply find some lye soap (Ace Hardware still stocks it) and wash with it a couple of times a day. Something in it seems to break down the oil. Cured me in three days with both of my cases.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Not exactly natural, but Round-up makes a special solution for poison ivy. If this is growing amongst plants you don't want to kill, I would suggest you soak the soil (or wait for a day-long rain) and pull them up by the roots. Wear gloves and wrap strong trash bags around your arms. When you pull the plant up, pull it inside the bag by turning the bag inside-out. Seal and put everything, including gloves, in the trash. Do not burn. I've been exposed so much through the years that my body reacts terribly whenever I get exposed.

If you want to be extra careful, pre-treat yourself with Tecnu, then wash with Tecnu once completed. I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. Kinda hard to prove a negative.

Tecnu works. My mom uses it and she is highly allergic to it.

I'm not, I helped my grandma pull some up in her back yard. Neither wore gloves, and just washed with soap afterwards.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be mental, but probably not. Tiny airborne droplets of oil exude from the plants at times, and persons who are sensitive to it can break out with no direct contact with the plant.

That is interesting....thanks for the info on that. Maybe I should tell her to quit being such a P*SSY about it....NAH!!!

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
besides digging it up roots and all I highly recommend roundup wood and brush killer. You could try salting it but you would ruin the soil in that spot for a while.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is interesting....thanks for the info on that. Maybe I should tell her to quit being such a P*SSY about it....NAH!!!

They say fair-skinned people are more susceptible but my personal experience has not really borne that out.

I'm a psty-white skinned redhead. Not allergic.

No. 1 son a dark, olive-skinned brunette. Highly allergic. Kid wound up in ERs across Oklahoma from poison ivy more times than Carter's got little liver pills.
No. 2 son, fair-skinned, blonde. Moderately allergic. Would break out but benedryl, Dawn dishwashing soap and calamine lotion usually fixed him up okay.
No. 3 son, pasty white feller, redhead. No reaction at all. Like mom he could walk through the stuff, pull out "weeds" all day, never even so much as a red spot.

:scratch: Go figure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom