Natural way to kill poison ivy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can kill anything with fire. Unfortunately the only sure way is to get the root out. I feel for you. I am highly allergic. I bought some remedy. Same stuff that utility companies use supposly. Whole french line got it one year around whole place. Haven't had a problem since.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weird thing about poison ivy/oak/sumac is it's not the Urushiol directly causing a rash, but your body's immune system attacking itself. And I can vouch for the reaction growing in severity with each exposure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol-induced_contact_dermatitis

At least 25% of people have very strong responses resulting in severe symptoms. Since the skin reaction is an allergic one, people may develop progressively stronger reactions after repeated exposures.

The toxic effects of urushiol are indirect, mediated by an induced immune response. Urushiol acts as a hapten, chemically reacting with, binding to, and changing the shape of integral membrane proteins on exposed skin cells. Affected proteins interfere with the immune system's ability to recognize these cells as normal parts of the body, causing a T-cell-mediated immune response.[4] This immune response is directed towards the complex of urushiol derivatives (namely, pentadecacatechol) bound in the skin proteins, attacking the cells as if they were foreign bodies.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The salt and vinegar solution may sterilize the soil around the plant, the dish soap is to keep the solution on the plant. Round Up is your best bet. This is one of the few occasion when fire is not an acceptable solution.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The roundup for brush and poison Ivy has a surfactant in it so the chemical won't just bead up and evaporate off the leaves.

Roundup is a natural way to kill it. It inhibits a specific enzyme that plants need in order to grow. This is why it takes several days/weeks for the plant to yellow and die.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't think about the salt hurting the soil. i will hit it with some round-up then make a trash bag haz-mat suit and get the roots up. Thanks guys

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have dealt with it for over 35 years.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/gordonsreg;-amine-400-2-4-d-weed-killer-1-gal

I use this at 50/50 mix with water in a 409 spray bottle..That is enough to kill many mullberry trees and tons of poison ivy.

I had the ivy in my back yard and used that above on a paper towel..just brushed 3 leaves with it..it sucked it up and has never been back .

I got my first case of poison ivy before 10..I had it 11 times in 1 year..
Got it so bad my left eye swelled shut and i looked like a toad frog all over..
At 12 years old I cut eye holes out of a paper sack and stuck it on my head to go outside and play..parrents asked what i was doing..I told them i look like a freak and going out to play and ride my bike...I could only see out of 1 eye..

Dad said: I guess we should take him to the doctor and get a shot for him..
I said there is a shot!!!!
My parents sucked!

Continue on through the years and i contacted it every year at least 4 times a year.
Today i get it ,, but it is very mild now...does not even itch just makes a few bumps in a line and a couple days later it is gone..
So for me i am getting more immune to it.

Spray some bleach on the leaves, that kills it also. But that is what one woman told me and i have not tried it yet.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have dealt with it for over 35 years.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/gordonsreg;-amine-400-2-4-d-weed-killer-1-gal

I use this at 50/50 mix with water in a 409 spray bottle..That is enough to kill many mullberry trees and tons of poison ivy.

I had the ivy in my back yard and used that above on a paper towel..just brushed 3 leaves with it..it sucked it up and has never been back .

I got my first case of poison ivy before 10..I had it 11 times in 1 year..
Got it so bad my left eye swelled shut and i looked like a toad frog all over..
At 12 years old I cut eye holes out of a paper sack and stuck it on my head to go outside and play..parrents asked what i was doing..I told them i look like a freak and going out to play and ride my bike...I could only see out of 1 eye..

Dad said: I guess we should take him to the doctor and get a shot for him..
I said there is a shot!!!!
My parents sucked!

Continue on through the years and i contacted it every year at least 4 times a year.
Today i get it ,, but it is very mild now...does not even itch just makes a few bumps in a line and a couple days later it is gone..
So for me i am getting more immune to it.

Spray some bleach on the leaves, that kills it also. But that is what one woman told me and i have not tried it yet.

Your link doesn't work. I use to get it like you did. Huge water blisters between fingers eyes swelled shut. Crappy way to spend a couple weeks every few months.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, never pour gas on pest foliage. It may knock them back for a few days, but gasoline is loaded with nitrogen that only serves as fertilizer.

Hate a plant? Hit it with gas, wait two weeks and BOOM you have a bumper crop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom