Need 1911 Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the Colt 1911 manual says (for Government-size pistols) to "Place the recoil guide into the recoil spring/s so that the closed end of the spring/s are up against the collar of the guide."

Which end is the closed end?

End A:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

End B:

[Broken External Image]

Which one is correct?

End A on Guide Rod Collar:

[Broken External Image]

End B on Guide Rod Collar:

[Broken External Image]

The reason I ask is because I was out shooting at Banner Road this morning and the slide was getting stuck like this:

[Broken External Image]

Notice that it is stuck behind the position where the slide stop would lock it. It would take only a sharp slap to make it go into battery, so I thought, "well, maybe I was too light on the oil". So I field stripped it, added a little more oil, and started shooting again. Same thing happened. My friend Brian said, "you put the spring in backwards". So I turned it around and it worked wonderfully, no failures of any kind for the next 60 or so rounds (which is when I quit firing).

When I got home, I re-read the manual and either I'm misunderstanding something, like which end is the closed end of the spring, what the guide rod collar is, the manual has a misprint, or something is wrong with the recoil spring. Does anything look wrong with the recoil spring? Which position is the correct position of the spring?

Thanks for your help.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had End A against the Guide Rod Collar when the malfunctions occurred. Turning the spring around seemed to fix it, but I don't want to operate the firearm exactly opposite the way the manual says...

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoulda bought the springfield. End A is definitely the right way. Luckily they are cheap if you need a new one. If that doesn't fix it I will buy your problem pistol for $11.53. Just to get it off your hands. Let me know. Brandon.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did I mention this gun is brand new? Today was the first time I fired it. I called Colt today but they're only open M-F 0800-1700 EST. I'll be giving them a call to see what they think.

So do you think the problem is in the spring, the guide rod, or what?

Chocobo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this part of the break-in process?

Maybe, Colt are usually loose enough to where it would work right out of the box. But if the manuel says it needs a break in period then fire a few hundred rounds through it and see if the problem still exist. Make sure you lube the right place also.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your gun is completely colt you will find on the recoil plug a stamped indenture place almost like a puncture.
The open end in photo B screws into that plug and the indenture keeps it from flying across the room when you take it apart.
Leastways thats the way it works on the older ones.

Latest posts

Top Bottom