Need 1911 Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I figured it out. Look at the first pic of the closed end of the spring. The last coil and a half are non-concentric. When the slide is forced back all the way to the rear, the high edge of the spring would be wedged between the slide and the guide rod, locking the slide in place. When I turned the spring around, the high edge was contained in the recoil plug, thus no problem.

I bent the last coil and a half and the spring now slides on and off with no problems and I can't get the slide to stick anymore. I'll try to get to the range tomorrow and see if that fixed it.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get rid of the "Full Length Guide Rod" and go with the standard type, and you won't have these issues.

Not sure if this was just a plug for your favorite guide rod, but the spring was getting hung at the base of the guide rod. Any length guide rod would have this same problem using the defective spring.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not sure if this was just a plug for your favorite guide rod, but the spring was getting hung at the base of the guide rod. Any length guide rod would have this same problem using the defective spring.

Yes, and No. I just find that 1911's tend to work better the way JMB made them. The FLGR is more of a gimick than something thats really needed. YMMV

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, and No. I just find that 1911's tend to work better the way JMB made them. The FLGR is more of a gimick than something thats really needed. YMMV

Yes, I agree with this almost 100%. One deviation from JMB that I tend to like is the upswept beavertail. The FLGR is a fix to a problem that never existed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom