Need advice about land....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 22 acres with about one full acre i would like to plant something that would attract deer and turkey's. It's in the middle of the city on my parents land so I would like something that would be pretty low maintenance that would do well year round. We currently don’t have any turkey's but I would like to try and introduce them into the area if I could. Any help or guidance would greatly be appreciated.

just a side note I don't plan to hunt the area just want to attract wildlife for my parents to see out of their house

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oats keep em comming from miles!
Alfalfa
Oats
Clover
Hi gear
Milo
winter peas

All the above will have em comming pretty hard. Get a feeder out around late july early august to get them used to the food source

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's your number one problem. 22 acres isn't much. And, you say it's in the city.

Eventually, any wildlife you introduce to the area is going to overpopulate that area. As soon as they destroy the habitat, they'll move on and you'll be back to square one. Deer and turkey can overpopulate a small area extremely fast.

Also think about Coyotes. Once they see a meal ticket, your parents may wind up having issues with them.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the people I know plant it in July or early August and pray for rain. But they're trying to get it up for hunting season. If all you want to do is attract them to the land, I'd plant it as late as possible, like September or October, so it'll draw them in when all the acorns and other foods are disappearing.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chufa is a turkey magnet, it is planted in the spring. It is a perennial but it is recommended to replant every year. It produces a tuber that turkey will scratch up the ground to locate the tuber. It requires a little more work to be produce the best results. The extra work is to lightly disc some of the crop when mature to expose the tuber. Doing this one strip at a time will make the crop last a little longer.

As others have noted. Common wheat or oats are very good in the fall and winter months. It can be planted in August or as late as 1st half of September when ground moisture is sufficient to help sprouting.

Are the 22 acres completely surrounded by citified land, or is there a bigger wildlife habitat acres near by? This will also make a difference.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chufa is a turkey magnet, it is planted in the spring. It is a perennial but it is recommended to replant every year. It produces a tuber that turkey will scratch up the ground to locate the tuber. It requires a little more work to be produce the best results. The extra work is to lightly disc some of the crop when mature to expose the tuber. Doing this one strip at a time will make the crop last a little longer.

As others have noted. Common wheat or oats are very good in the fall and winter months. It can be planted in August or as late as 1st half of September when ground moisture is sufficient to help sprouting.

Are the 22 acres completely surrounded by citified land, or is there a bigger wildlife habitat acres near by? This will also make a difference.

Will you remind me to do this in August? lol
I have counted up to 19 turkeys and would like to make sure they stay around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom