Need advice - Glock 26 or SP101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2.25". I carried it for a year or two before I went to a Glock. I then added a large Hogue wood grip like the pic in post number 4 and retired it to the bed side table.

Yeah, 2.25" is the way to go for ordinary CCW, and I would pick the spurless-hammer model for that intended role.

The 3" SP101 is for woods gun and recreational shooting. Also a fine nightstand gun. Most of the time the 3" guns will shoot lights out, even with factory sights. Also, the longer barrel length gives extra velocity to both .38 and .357 loads.

Grips: the Hogue grips, whether wood or the synthetic "monogrip," are something special on the SP101. If you go wood, consider that you may not want a full set of finger grooves. Some find the Hogues too big for CCW. Also, while the synthetic monogrip feels great, its slightly tacky texture can cling to cover garments.

For an open carried, recreational, or nightstand SP101, Hogue all day.

When you get a good SP101, never sell it. Shoot the heck out of it. They laugh at high round counts and they just get smoother with use. You may notice SP101s are scarcer on gun show tables than they should be given the sales numbers out there. There is a reason.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah the weight of the sp definitely puts in the belt gun, not pocket gun class. I used to carry revolver a lot, now not so much. Of course its all about preference, and the 5 shot does meet the first rule of a gunfight, but the question of how long will you be in the fight comes up- with only 5 rounds on board, and a slow reload, you are in the fight for what? one second? what if the first five rounds results in several hits, and dont drop him? or what about the other bad guy? home invasions, robberies, etc often involve 2 or more.. I used to know a pro bodyguard who carried a revolver until thefirst time he got in a gunfight with multiple attackers.. something to think about..

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
yeah the weight of the sp definitely puts in the belt gun, not pocket gun class. I used to carry revolver a lot, now not so much. Of course its all about preference, and the 5 shot does meet the first rule of a gunfight, but the question of how long will you be in the fight comes up- with only 5 rounds on board, and a slow reload, you are in the fight for what? one second? what if the first five rounds results in several hits, and dont drop him? or what about the other bad guy? home invasions, robberies, etc often involve 2 or more.. I used to know a pro bodyguard who carried a revolver until thefirst time he got in a gunfight with multiple attackers.. something to think about..

I agree, and want to add a point or two. I carried a 5 shot for a while, was once in a situation where three guys were acting "funny" behind my work late at night. I ket thinking "5 divided by 3..." and didn't like the answers I was coming up with. Combine that with some recent events, what if you just happened to be in the parking lot when jihad johnnie opens up on a recruiting office or other "target" with his rifle? Crazy, not likely to happen situation? sure.... but in that scenario I want to be able to send a freaking HAIL of bullets his way, and be able to do it again very quickly thereafter...That rules out the revolver for me.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This question is so Apples vs. Doorknobs that I don't know how to give advice.

Good luck either way.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Here's my experience.

While I've not owned a G26, I own both a G19 and a Kahr CM9. I did own an SP101 2.25" for a time.

SP101: THE softest shooting 5shot compact frame .357 on the market, or probably ever. The grip design with the frame post and a rubber surround is amazing. The downside? It's heavy, and by heavy I mean unloaded it weighed nearly as much as my Sig P228 (25oz SP vs 26oz P228), carries only 5 rds vs 15+1 +15 +15 +15 etc., and due to the cylinder, is not particularly thinner. Then I bought the G19, which is lighter, and thinner. Loaded, the SP101 weighs 27.6 oz, vs 30.2 with the G19 (which carries an additional 11 rounds for 2.6oz!!). Length is 7.2" (SP) vs 7.4" (G19), and height is 4.5" (SP) vs 5" (G19).

I also find the G19 (or any auto) easier to carry IWB than a revolver, specifically snubbies.

In short, I carry the G19 despite having initial doubts about Glocks when I bought it (almost 7 years ago). The SP101 is long gone.

Compare to the G26, and it's even more stacked in the Glock's favor. The G26 is smaller in EVERY measurable dimension, and still holds an extra 6 rounds.

For the CM9, specs are 5.42" L (7.2" SP) x 4.0" (4.5" SP) x .90" (1.35" SP cylinder). The weight is 15.9oz (gun + mag) vs 25oz (SP), and 18.8oz (gun + 6+1 9mm) vs 27.6oz (SP).

All that, basically made the SP101 a range toy, and for a range toy, I didn't like it as much as my mid size revolvers (S&W K and Ruger *Six series and GP100). So I ended up selling it.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 26 gets my vote. 11 vs. 5 round capacity. Spare Glock 19 or 17 mag for much faster than a revolver reload. +P+ ammo makes it the ballistic equivalent of a .357 magnum.

But, why does it have to be either-or?? Get both. A 3 inch SP-101 is a joy to shoot and built like a tank.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What nikat, wolf, and prairie said. I absolutely love my SP101. It is beautiful, shoots great, feels great in hand. 10 bucks, a little bit of Googlefu, and 2 hours of time will smooth the trigger out and lighten it up a bit. You can put any grip on it imaginable. You can put snake shot in it. You can dole out some serious punishment with good .357 loads or .38 spl +p+ loads. But.... You only have 5 shots. It doesn't conceal too well. Compared to my XDS, it doesn't carry as well or as comfortably. And unless you can reload that sucker like jerry Miculiek(sp?), you're about up a creek when you shoot those 5 shots. I love the Ruger for its looks and practicality. It works great as a BBQ gun, a wandering around in the woods gun, and a fishing/bowfishing gun. But for practical self defense especially in today's enviroment, I would suggest a modern semi. Preferably not a pocket or compact pistol either.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What nikat, wolf, and prairie said. I absolutely love my SP101. It is beautiful, shoots great, feels great in hand. 10 bucks, a little bit of Googlefu, and 2 hours of time will smooth the trigger out and lighten it up a bit. You can put any grip on it imaginable. You can put snake shot in it. You can dole out some serious punishment with good .357 loads or .38 spl +p+ loads. But.... You only have 5 shots. It doesn't conceal too well. Compared to my XDS, it doesn't carry as well or as comfortably. And unless you can reload that sucker like jerry Miculiek(sp?), you're about up a creek when you shoot those 5 shots. I love the Ruger for its looks and practicality. It works great as a BBQ gun, a wandering around in the woods gun, and a fishing/bowfishing gun. But for practical self defense especially in today's enviroment, I would suggest a modern semi. Preferably not a pocket or compact pistol either.
Very well said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom