Need advice on an all around shotgun..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a entry level 12ga shotgun I can do most of my hunting with. I want to spend under $400 and i cant decide to go with a used semi auto, or a new pump action. I don't hunt that much but i do need something that is a well rounded gun. It gets confusuing with the different barrel lenghts, chokes, and brands. Any advice fellas? I was leaning towards a mossberg 500 with a 26 inch barrel but I'm just not sold on it.

OKSAOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second Jimmy's advice and add that if you considered a used Remington Express, and shopped wisely, you would have about $200 left for ammunition and accessories.

merrise

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have been hearing good things about the Tristar 12-gauge semi-auto. $399 at Academy. Haven't shot this, but trusted friend says they are trying to make their mark with a reduced price quality shotgun.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have been hearing good things about the Tristar 12-gauge semi-auto. $399 at Academy. Haven't shot this, but trusted friend says they are trying to make their mark with a reduced price quality shotgun.

I did see the tristar online and thought that it was a great price.. If I could find a used 870 mag I'd be all over it bc I could save some cash but I'm real sceptical on going with a brand I'm not familiar with. I'll have to do some research on the tristar and keep my eyes open here for a used 12 ga.

BTW are used shotguns something I should stay away from? I've been a little worried on buying one that I have no idea if its had 10 rounds or 5,000 shot through it or if it would even make any difference. Thanks again for the advice..

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok i've narrowed it down to 3 shotguns (still unsure of what barrel length to go with though)

1st Benelli Nova (pump) $349
2nd Remington SPR453 semi auto $479 (I know its not an actual remington is an importer)
3rd Remington 870 pump $279

I've read good things about all of these shotguns but I'm on the fence about going with a pump or semi auto. I know I'll save money and shells with the pump but I may regret not spending an extra $100 bucks and getting a semi auto in the first place.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i can knock down the same amount of birds with my remington 870 wingmaster as my buddy can with his camoed up 1200 dollar benelli. and i'll take the pepsi challenge with anyone on that.

Uplandquail

Marksman
Reaction score
You may want to check out the stoger made by banelli it will shoot 2-3/4 and 3" shells. I have shot every type of upland bird water fowl turkey you name it this gun will kill it for around $400

Latest posts

Top Bottom