Need car help ASAP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I get in my car and as soon as I pull out, I hear a clicking under the hood/front end. My dash lights up like christmas. Warning lights are BRAKE, ANTI-LOCK, SERVICE VEHICLE SOON, and TRAC OFF. Owners manual for any of these states, pull over and call a tow truck for service. When I hit the brakes, it drags almost like they are stuck on. I shut the car off, restart, and it clears the issue. Problem is it keeps randomly coming back. I haven't found anything online yet. I'm thinking ABS control module, sensor, or maybe vacuum leak? Any ideas? Oh, car is a 98 Buick Regal GS.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dirty battery terminals. Sounds odd I know, but I had the exact same intermittent problem on my truck (except the dragging brakes). Cleaning and tightening the battery terminals fixed it. Worth a try on yours.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think its the pump if its dragging but Im no real mechanic.

It only does it when the warning lights are on, so I'd guess it's not the master cylinder. This kinda crap is exactly why I hate new cars. Ditch the electronic control this, and traction control that, and I'm right at home under the hood.

Dirty battery terminals. Sounds odd I know, but I had the exact same intermittent problem on my truck (except the dragging brakes). Cleaning and tightening the battery terminals fixed it. Worth a try on yours.

Battery/Terminals are good. Maybe I should be more clear on the dragging brakes. When I let off of the brakes to accelerate, the brakes feel like they are stuck on, car still slows down, engine works harder to get moving. The next time I let off the gas, car already seems to have brake pressure applied without me hitting the pedal.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it feels like it dragging, you are probably experiencing a "false" traction control event. The traction control system actually applies brake control via ABS to the wheel that it thinks is slipping and some systems even have the ability to reduce engine power. So you should be familiar with the feeling of active traction control, does it feel like that? The clicking noise is probably the ABS pump and solenoid/valves on the ABS/HCU activating.

Anyway, you need to have a diagnostic run on the car. There are basically 3 systems that all work together that could be at fault ( Engine/PCM, ABS, Traction control ) It could be something real simple, or it could get expensive but who really knows. The system is too complicated to make a guess, but with knowing the DTC's set would help. I have seen simple things like a mis-matched tire/size cause flase events, corrupted wheel speed sensor or a loose connection or damaged wire. It gets complicated and expensive when modules fail.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
* I'm not a mechanic.
The ABS provides a 'pulsing' of the brakes to try an minimize locked-up brakes. I don't think ABS will apply brakes or maintain pressure. (i.e. brakes still applied, or dragging)
The 'dragging' brakes may be throwing your ABS. ...Not the ABS throwing the brakes.

I have a '99 Chevy truck that had sticking brake calipers, and would 'drag' like you said. It was due to rust inside the brake calipers. It started as a minor problem and got worse with time (more rust).
You couldn't see the problem from the outside. After I replaced the calipers (and flex hose), the truck drove awesome again.

1) After you experience the dragging brakes, immediately go check all the wheels and check to see if any of the brakes are hotter than the others. (dragging brakes will heat up more than the others)
Or
2) Put the car on jacks (one wheel at a time if you like). Start the car (for the power brakes), leave the trans in park, pump the brakes a few times, release brakes and see if you can spin the wheel by hand. (For the drive wheels, you'll need to chock the other 2 wheels and leave the Trans in neutral).

If any of the brakes are stuck, it'll be hard to spin by hand. If that's the case, it's a stuck caliper.
Replace the caliper and flex hose at the same time. Sometimes a old flex hose will disintegrate inside and block the brake fluid from returning to the brake reservoir.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it feels like it dragging, you are probably experiencing a "false" traction control event. The traction control system actually applies brake control via ABS to the wheel that it thinks is slipping and some systems even have the ability to reduce engine power. So you should be familiar with the feeling of active traction control, does it feel like that? The clicking noise is probably the ABS pump and solenoid/valves on the ABS/HCU activating.

Anyway, you need to have a diagnostic run on the car. There are basically 3 systems that all work together that could be at fault ( Engine/PCM, ABS, Traction control ) It could be something real simple, or it could get expensive but who really knows. The system is too complicated to make a guess, but with knowing the DTC's set would help. I have seen simple things like a mis-matched tire/size cause flase events, corrupted wheel speed sensor or a loose connection or damaged wire. It gets complicated and expensive when modules fail.

When the traction control kicks in, it kills the engine power so that's not what I'm feeling. Tires are the same size as always so I don't think they would be the culprit. I'll stop by Autozone or somewhere and see if they can get me a code. I'm hoping for a speed sensor/broken wire at this point. I'm getting tired of dumping money into this car.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
* I'm not a mechanic.
The ABS provides a 'pulsing' of the brakes to try an minimize locked-up brakes. I don't think ABS will apply brakes or maintain pressure. (i.e. brakes still applied, or dragging)
The 'dragging' brakes may be throwing your ABS. ...Not the ABS throwing the brakes.

I have a '99 Chevy truck that had sticking brake calipers, and would 'drag' like you said. It was due to rust inside the brake calipers. It started as a minor problem and got worse with time (more rust).
You couldn't see the problem from the outside. After I replaced the calipers (and flex hose), the truck drove awesome again.

1) After you experience the dragging brakes, immediately go check all the wheels and check to see if any of the brakes are hotter than the others. (dragging brakes will heat up more than the others)
Or
2) Put the car on jacks (one wheel at a time if you like). Start the car (for the power brakes), leave the trans in park, pump the brakes a few times, release brakes and see if you can spin the wheel by hand. (For the drive wheels, you'll need to chock the other 2 wheels and leave the Trans in neutral).

If any of the brakes are stuck, it'll be hard to spin by hand. If that's the case, it's a stuck caliper.
Replace the caliper and flex hose at the same time. Sometimes a old flex hose will disintegrate inside and block the brake fluid from returning to the brake reservoir.

The brakes only seem to drag when all the aforementioned idiot lights are on. When I restart the car and clear the lights, everything is normal.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
* I'm not a mechanic.

1) After you experience the dragging brakes, immediately go check all the wheels and check to see if any of the brakes are hotter that the others. (dragging brakes will heat up more than the others)
Or

Definitely NOT a mechanic here but I had this same problem with a 99 Kia. It wasn't rust. The factory didn't set the calipers properly and I burned through 3 sets of pads and drums in less than a year. The dealer's shop kept telling me that it was how I was driving the car. Took some doing but the Kia dealer FINALLY replaced the calipers and the problem went away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom