Need Dennis and other X-bow hunters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dennis, I'll bet you know the answer to this! :)

Questions about fletching & accuracy.

I heard from a very knowledgeable bowman that on a crossbow, helical fletching will really tighten up groups.

1. Is it true generally that more spin is needed for x-bow bolts than arrows? This does stand to reason.

2. If I cannot do a helical fletch, should I do a 4 degree offset (rather than a 2 degree offset as I would do with arrows)?

Or, should I leave the PSE Tac-10 arrows as is? There are 4 long vanes but no offset and no helical to them.

I have a blitzenbarger, which is supposed to do the flattened "Star Wars X-Wing Fighter" pattern that the Tac-10 and Tac-15 bolts use (if I'm not mistaken). Thinking of using Quik-Spin STs with a 4 degree offset. The accuracy I'm currently getting is definitely nothing spectacular.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is what happened to me that caused me to miss a Pope and Young buck.

When first shooting the Xbow, like good compound shooters, I quickly realized one needs to shoot at different bulls with each shot to prevent shearing off the fletchings. I sheared off fletching from several bolts and put new ones on.
The bolts I got came from Excaliber and had a helical fletching, so that is what I still use.

I was in the stand at Big Mac, and a P&Y stopped 30 yds from me on some acorn rage I'd put out.
It was a measured range, as they don't allow range finders.
Pulled the trigger and the buck jumped and ran off, with the bolt going way over the dop of the deer.
I replayd that scenerio a million times in my mind, and could not figure how that happened.
Months later, I got the Xbow out and for what ever reason and looked at the foot strap where one put the foot into for cocking.
I saw a tiny cut in the foot strap powder coating.

It all made sense why I missed.
The Bolts that one re-fletches have to be timed so the broadhead will not hit the foot strap.

I took a dremmel tool and cut a groove into the foot strap that will allow any fletching angle to work fine.

Reaction score
Man, rough story; doh!

This Tac-10 has no foot ring (a crank instead), so no worries there, except for general inaccuracy resulting from a change, so point taken.

What kind of fletch would you try if you were me, with 4" quick-spins: 2 deg offset, 3 deg offset, or helical? This is for shooting through a whisker biscuit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never shot through a whisker Biscuit, as when I hunted with a vertical bow, I shot bare bow. Me, the bow, and fingers, with a simple rest.
I do believe in the helical fletching, especially if one is going to use some of the broadheads like the Bear. The arrow needs to spin to prevent planing.
I continue to use the helical on the XBow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom