Need Hard Drive for Security System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay here is a computer question that does not have anything to do with Windows 10 OS.
mausercentral.com_forum_images_smilies_icon_smile.gif

I am needing a 3.5in SATA hard drive, for a security system, where is the best place to look for one at the lowest cost. I am going to be borrowing the money to get the HD so I am going to try to get the biggest I can with what I will have to spend. The system can use up to a 4TB drive.

So where should I look, I have been searching all over and it seems like prices are wildly different from one place to the next. I can use as small as a 500gb if needed, but want the best for my bucks.

Thanks for any help.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay here is a computer question that does not have anything to do with Windows 10 OS.
mausercentral.com_forum_images_smilies_icon_smile.gif

I am needing a 3.5in SATA hard drive, for a security system, where is the best place to look for one at the lowest cost. I am going to be borrowing the money to get the HD so I am going to try to get the biggest I can with what I will have to spend. The system can use up to a 4TB drive.

So where should I look, I have been searching all over and it seems like prices are wildly different from one place to the next. I can use as small as a 500gb if needed, but want the best for my bucks.

Thanks for any help.

newegg.com and amazon generally have good prices. If you go with a SSD, it will cost more but potentially be more stable longterm. If you aren't moving it around much, and just need storage space, then a standard spinning HD should be fine and are pretty inexpensive for the storage space offered these days.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When shopping for your hard drive, look for a hard drive rated for DVR usage. (Also called 'AV' for audio/visual)
Security camera systems will access the HD a lot, like a DVR.

DVR's (AV) hard drives are rated for usage 100% of the time.
Typical computer hard drives are not. (i.e. it's used for a short while then off for a long time)
A typical HD will work, but may not last as long.

Hard drive differences (typical HD vs DVR rated): [PDF]
http://www.seagate.com/files/www-co...n-us/docs/video-vs-desktop-mb645-1-1403us.pdf

Amazon "hard drive AV":
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hard+drive+av

Last edited:

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, two more suggestions:

1) Don't worry about the size of the hard drive too much. Seriously.
500G-1T is waaaaaay more then enough. Even smaller HD's would probably be ok.
The reason is this: You want enough hard drive to capture events in the near past, but recording something from 6 months-1 year ago is pointless.
For example, You're walking around the house and something around your house is moved/missing. How many days has it been since you've been near the area? 1 day? 1 week? 3 weeks? ...Seriously - (X) months ago is a long time to not notice something missing. Most likely, you'll notice something sooner rather than later.

How many days do you really want - assuming recording 24x7: (Note the video quality versus days)
https://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/docs/pdf/whitepaper/video-surv-storage-tp571-3-1202-us.pdf

Most entry level camera systems are 480. Higher end ones are 1080. Assuming recording 24x7 (yikes), at a modest 20 fps (frames per second), a 1 Terra byte Hard drive has 42 days record time (480 entry level camera) or 12 days record time (1080 high end camera).
Of course, recording only upon motion-activation (not 24x7) will greatly increase record time. ...Both (42 days or 12 days - depending on camera system) are acceptable timeframes in my book.

System setup:
2) Consider setting up a Google email account for cloud storage. ***Strictly for security camera purposes***
(easier for mass deleting emails, rather than avoiding deleting personal emails)
I have my camera system set up so that every time something triggers a motion-activation event, it takes a snapshot and sends it to my email account.
So even if A) Someone breaks in and steals the Camera DVR or B) your HD dies without you knowing it (or you don't have one) - either way - you still have access to pictures in the email account.
It's also handy to log-in and see the most recent activity - regardless if you're on vacation or down the road at Sonic.
Note: ...You have to occasionally empty the email account. That's every 2 months for me.

Yes, bigger HD's = more record time, which is good. But how much is really needed?
best of luck.

Last edited:

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, two more suggestions:

1) Don't worry about the size of the hard drive too much. Seriously.
500G-1T is waaaaaay more then enough. Even smaller HD's would probably be ok.
The reason is this: You want enough hard drive to capture events in the near past, but recording something from 6 months-1 year ago is pointless.
For example, You're walking around the house and something around your house is moved/missing. How many days has it been since you've been near the area? 1 day? 1 week? 3 weeks? ...Seriously - (X) months ago is a long time to not notice something missing. Most likely, you'll notice something sooner rather than later.

How many days do you really want - assuming recording 24x7: (Note the video quality versus days)
https://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/docs/pdf/whitepaper/video-surv-storage-tp571-3-1202-us.pdf

Most entry level camera systems are 480. Higher end ones are 1080. Assuming recording 24x7 (yikes), at a modest 20 fps (frames per second), a 1 Terra byte Hard drive has 42 days record time (480 entry level camera) or 12 days record time (1080 high end camera).
Of course, recording only upon motion-activation (not 24x7) will greatly increase record time. ...Both (42 days or 12 days - depending on camera system) are acceptable timeframes in my book.

System setup:
2) Consider setting up a Google email account for cloud storage. ***Strictly for security camera purposes***
(easier for mass deleting emails, rather than avoiding deleting personal emails)
I have my camera system set up so that every time something triggers a motion-activation event, it takes a snapshot and sends it to my email account.
So even if A) Someone breaks in and steals the Camera DVR or B) your HD dies without you knowing it (or you don't have one) - either way - you still have access to pictures in the email account.
It's also handy to log-in and see the most recent activity - regardless if you're on vacation or down the road at Sonic.
Note: ...You have to occasionally empty the email account. That's every 2 months for me.

Yes, bigger HD's = more record time, which is good. But how much is really needed?
best of luck.

That is what I am looking at. My system is 960 and does run 24 hrs. It is used for both security and so my wife can check on me when not at home, that smart phone app. If she takes a look and I am face down in the yard she will send help. :) That is rather nice. I will just shoot for the 1 TB.

I have my cameras set to smart record, a photo every 5 seconds but when motion is detected it backs up 15 seconds and records from that point, I like that and since it can be set to notify for each alert I do have an e-mail account just for the cameras.

I got 168 emails just from camera #3 in one night because the deer would not leave. As you can imagine I did turn off the inside alarm, got tired of hearing that stupid thing beeping over and over and over. :)

Thanks for the info.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the above link regarding (HD capacity vs record time) is **PER** camera.
So if you have 4 cameras recording 24x7, you'll have to upsize the HD accordingly.

-ElherDave said: "It is used for both security and so my wife can check on me when not at home, that smart phone app. "

No Problem. Oh, and I was checking in too.
...You need to mow your lawn. :) (humor)

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom