Need help picking a scope for my .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperSix

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking for a scope for my .308 for a while and can't make up my mind. The three I have really been looking at are:

Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman 5-25x56 PM with Illuminated Reticle
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS
Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 LR/T M1 with Illuminated Reticle

Are these good choices? I'm really just wanting the best scope for my rifle. Which one of the three listed is the best? If you could purchase any scope for your rifle (doesn't have to be one of my choices), price not an issue, which scope would you pick and why?

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a long gunner by trade, but my next bolt gun scope will be the leupy Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14 with illuminated reticle and M5. It's worth it to me to have a mil/mil scope. They're all the rage now, but I like it cause your dialing dope and holdovers are the same and follow ups are quicker

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy has a nightforce and the big vortex, he says he will never buy another nightforce, he can't tell the difference between the two (other than price), the vortex is the 33mm tube version. I believe his NF is the same model you are considering. Gene Sears carries the big vortex (and NF I think) if you want to hold one in your hands.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The marine corps uses a S&B scope as one of the scopes they field. If i had that kinda dough to throw around on a scope thats the one i'd go with.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&B from your list, but it isn't apples to apples. S&B should be listed with USO, Hensoldt, Premier.

For the love of everything holy, buy a scope with the turrets and the reticle matching. Makes life easier and resell is higher. I wouldn't buy a mismatched high end scope at this point unless it was a good deal. You don't have to go with mil/mil. MOA/MOA is fine too.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also suggest looking at the Schmidt & Bender 3-20x50 Police Marksman LP 34mm Riflescope series as well. Having a 308 rifle, I would almost rather have the 3x on the low end than having the 25x on the high end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom