Need Hunting Shotgun Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting reader's cramp from this thread (not a bad thing!)

Try before you buy

Screw in chokes are necessary

Beware ultra light guns (Franchi comes to mind)

If you don't like maintenance, a Remington wingmaster 870 is the way to go

I have put thousands of rounds (registered skeet and hunting) through a group of Remington 1100s with very few malfunctions

Have fun! CB

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all,
Thanks again for all of the helpful advice! This has been one of the most informative threads I've read on this board regarding shotguns, and has been very helpful in my decision making process and future shotgun purchasing plans.

In complete opposition to what I planned on doing at the start of this thread, I ended up buying a Yildiz 12ga O/U over the weekend of the 4th. I spent a lot of time reading user reviews online, and they seem to receive nothing but very high praise. While in Tulsa, I figured poked, yet again, all of the different models and brands of shotguns, and the Yildiz had a very nice feel. Among our skeet shooting circle we already have an 870 and an 1100, so I figured I'd pick up the double barrel for diversity. Eventually I plan to pick up probably a Beretta 391 or Browning Gold Hunter, but that will have to wait until I'm willing to devote more money into the hobby.

We took the Yildiz out this last weekend, and I must say, I am very pleased with it. I shot better with it than I have with anything else. (Which isn't really saying much, but still. lol) 11 in a row was all I could manage. Missed the 12th. Anyways, we had a blast, despite the heat, and I look forward to shooting it again.

Thanks again to all who commented with their input! You all are a great source of knowledge and information, and I greatly appreciate it. :)

Reaction score
PUMP OR AUTO?

Oops, wrong question. :D

O/U or SxS?

Fixed it for ya.

Answer is either one - take a look at these two beauties that come in well under $1,000.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_512.htm

http://www.savagearms.com/st_612.htm

There's a *reason* why upland hunters prefer double guns. 2 chokes beats 3 shots for quail & pheasant.

I'd run with a 612 in 20 or 28 ga with that criteria set. Probably 20. Either that or a CZ-USA double gun, though some of them press up against $1K.

but you're exactly right; it's better to "cry once", and these aren't top-quality double guns. So you're probably better off getting a used Winchester 1400 semi-auto 20 ga or 12 ga for now for under $250, then saving for your GOOD double gun, such as a "B" gun.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool to see you made your decision. I'm an over-and-under guy myself, and have been wanting a nicer double gun (Red Label, etc.) than my current O/U. Born and raised in North Central Kansas, and I've been an upland hunter (armed - had to play "bird dog" for my dad and grandpa before that) since just before my 9th birthday (1977), and it's something that's just in my soul. I've hunted with a pump and semi-auto, but since trying out an O/U in the mid-80s I've been hooked ever since. I wouldn't hunt pheasant/quail with anything but an O/U now.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey cuz, How come you didn't call and tell me this?

It's cool that you finally got yourself one now that you are happy with and can shoot with. But for some reason I do remember you saying that you didn't want an O/U, but that is OK, you are allowed to change your mind.

You are going to have to come up here this fall to go dove hunting. They are everywhere.

I have never heard of a Yildiz. Send me some info.

dhayt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for an upland gun, my choice is a 26" 20 ga. Ruger Red Label O/U. 3" 20 ga. mag is great for pheasant. The gun is nicely scaled from the 12 ga. to make it much easier to carry all day in the field. A new Red Label will run around $1250-$1300, but I've seen nice used models for under $900.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:withstupi
As for an upland gun, my choice is a 26" 20 ga. Ruger Red Label O/U. 3" 20 ga. mag is great for pheasant. The gun is nicely scaled from the 12 ga. to make it much easier to carry all day in the field. A new Red Label will run around $1250-$1300, but I've seen nice used models for under $900.

A Red Label is my #1 want; why not a 12 ga.? I prefer the 12 (versatility, ammo same price, etc.), but not completely opposed to the 20 ga. I've shot skeet with a 20 ga. Red Label, and it was very nice and well balanced. The O/U I hunt with now (American Arms Silver II) I special ordered in the mid-80s with 26" barrels, and now would only want them in 26" for an O/U. Swings fast and smooth, and easier to handle in sunflowers, tall grass, thickets, etc. Just wondering about the 12 vs. 20 ga., as I've also read from others that they didn't prefer a Red Label in 12 gauge but did really like it in 20.

dhayt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:withstupi

A Red Label is my #1 want; why not a 12 ga.? I prefer the 12 (versatility, ammo same price, etc.), but not completely opposed to the 20 ga. I've shot skeet with a 20 ga. Red Label, and it was very nice and well balanced. The O/U I hunt with now (American Arms Silver II) I special ordered in the mid-80s with 26" barrels, and now would only want them in 26" for an O/U. Swings fast and smooth, and easier to handle in sunflowers, tall grass, thickets, etc. Just wondering about the 12 vs. 20 ga., as I've also read from others that they didn't prefer a Red Label in 12 gauge but did really like it in 20.

I won't get into the differences between the 12 and 20 gauge, for they each have their advantages. As for the Red Label, I prefer the size and weight of the 20.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's some pics and vids of the new Yildiz.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_IMG_0042.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Silenttim shooting skeet
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_Videos_th_MVI_0167.jpg

Shooting Skeet
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_Videos_th_MVI_0175.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom