Need recommendation for o/u shotgun for teen girl.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any particular reason you don't want to go with a gas operated auto? They have significantly less recoil, which will help her learn better without developing a flinch. Some of them are pretty light these days in 20ga and still have light recoil.

togap

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a Beretta fan, have shot thousand of rounds through a 390 without a problem. You can find a used 390 for around $500. If you want a new gun consider one of several models of 391.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a Stoeger Condor 12 GA not long ago and like it. They offer them in 20 GA and youth models. Not the lightest or sexiest over-unders, but great quality if your not wanting to spend a ton of money. I paid 350 for mine, brand new.

Also, when I was O/U shopping, several friends recommended Yildiz to me. Not much more than a Stoeger, and even better for the money. I didnt get one because I couldnt find a dealer for them up here in WA, but Academy carries them.

bjl333

Marksman
Reaction score
I second the auto idea. A good 20ga Remington 1100 is inexpensive and easy to shoot. I have used an 1100 12ga for skeet competition for the last 4 years and I highly recommand them.
But if an O/U is what you really want then look now further then a Browning Citori 20ga. The Citori Skeet models with fixed skeet chokes are not as desirable and can be picked up for a good price. As for shells, both Remington and Winchester makes light loads for target shooting, but don't run them through an auto.
Good Luck !!

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going to re-load and can load a very light recoil shell, then a o/u would be OK.

W/O reloading, i would definitely recomend a semi-auto 20 gauge for a girl, woman, and even most men.

a lot of competition skeet shooters shoot 20 gauge in the 12 gauge event simply because with the less recoil they have better scores.

i can shoot the lightest to the heavest shells i can find off the shelf through my beretta 391 and remington 1100 20 gauge.

a student of mine just ordered a remington 1187 form sportsworld at a good price. they are going to order a woman's stock and cut it to fit and add a recoil pad. this way, she can keep the original stock + her woman's stock for resale purposes.

i look at it this way, a less expensive o/u is at the low end in terms of quality, balance, patterns, no problems. a name brand semi-auto is at the top of the line in quality, long life, pattern, balance, etc.

you shoot skeet at 22 yards approximately. it is a quick game. if a shooters starts flinching even a little bit because of recoil, it will turn a simple game into one that is hard to get a decent scroe and the enjoyment will go down. for this reason i suggest buying a semi-auto unless you plan on taking the time and investment to re-load. recoil can kill you in skeet.

if you reload, the main purpose is not saving money, because you can find shells for about the same price, the main reason is to load a very light recoil shell. when she shoots 3 rounds or 75 shells for practice and 100 shells per gauge for competition, recoil is a very big thing.

I give skeet lessons so if you are interested give me a call.

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you're doing an over under, get a heavy one. The real light ones like beretta kick like it's their job, however, something like a browning with a recoil reducing butt pad might work. My browning white lightning comes in at a little bit over 8 pounds and is fine for my reconstructed shoulders. Still will take some practice to get used to for a smaller girl, but will help.

I am not an expert by any means, just some dude who knows what he likes

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with a 12 ga. over and under you can use the low recoil low noise AA winchester win-lites. Don't know if there any 12 ga. youth models though.

Winlites do come in 20 ga as well, so a youth model appropriate 20 gauge would be perfect.

With semi-autos you have to use enough shell to cycle the action.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remmy 1100 or Beretta would be my recommendations as well. The Beretta's are especially nice. Avoid the Benelli's, because most if not all of them are recoil operated and have much stiffer recoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom