Need some BBQ joint recommendations for Shawnee/MWC/Del-City area...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gimme summa dat mmm mmm good,
Meat fall off the bone.
Baby I'm hungry, I said baby you hungry?
Let's head to Mr Spriggs and get us some ribs.
Ten seventeen souf Urr Depot.
I need that S-P-R-I-G-G-S,
When I deal with Mr Spriggs I only deal with the best.
Gotta have that S-P-R-I-G-G-S,
Call 7-3-3-8-fiiive-7-8.
Mr Spriggs barbecue,
(it's alwaaaays).
Mr Spriggs barbecue,
(tenderrrrrr).
Mr Spriggs barbecue,
(meat falls off the boo-ooooooo-ooone).

:clap3:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished some Billy Sims BBQ. It's better than average, but not great. Mr Sprigg's is good but their sauce is nasty. Gary Dale's is nasty. Spencer's is okay. That leaves Rib Crib and one other place on Air Depot across from Wendy's for the MWC places.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woody's on HWY 33 between Guthrie and Langston but closer to Langston. I am not a fan of baked patatoes but they smoke theirs with the meat and my mouth is watering just passing this on. They are only open Th,FR,Sat from 5pm - 9pm and toward the back end they run out of patatoes. Oh, their bbq is my favorite.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gimme summa dat mmm mmm good,
Meat fall off the bone.
Baby I'm hungry, I said baby you hungry?
Let's head to Mr Spriggs and get us some ribs.
Ten seventeen souf Urr Depot.
I need that S-P-R-I-G-G-S,
When I deal with Mr Spriggs I only deal with the best.
Gotta have that S-P-R-I-G-G-S,
Call 7-3-3-8-fiiive-7-8.
Mr Spriggs barbecue,
(it's alwaaaays).
Mr Spriggs barbecue,
(tenderrrrrr).
Mr Spriggs barbecue,
(meat falls off the boo-ooooooo-ooone).

Where is he now? I've lost track of him since he retired from the Fire Dept.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I highly recommend Robb's Smokehouse, on Kickapoo St. in Shawnee.

It is much better than either Van's or Billy Boy BBQ. As a matter of fact it is the best BBQ I have found commercially anywhere.

There is not much atmosphere, the building is an old Taco-Tico, and I don't like the tables because the seats are not made for fat people, but the BBQ is fantastic! The BBQ sauce there is about the best I have ever tried.

I would get the BBQ to go, or have it catered if so inclined.

Enjoy!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While Mr Spriggs has the best jingle out of all local bbq joints, it's really not anything spectacular. Pretty standard fare. I'm no bbq snob, but I'm yet to find a spot that offers amazing bbq. Spencer's probably has the best consistency and is my recommendation.

Steve and (Molly?) Spencer are good people.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only been to Vann's, but thought it was pretty good.

Frankly, if they're from CA, they've never been exposed to decent bbq. Go for a mom and pop type joint over a chain. Bbq shouldn't be fancy; if it's too nice, they've generally got no soul.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JT's BBQ is a very good joint in Del City, over on Sunny Lane between Reno and 15th. The wife likes the ribs and I enjoy the brisket and hot link. But, they are not always open for evening dining. I think it is only on Fridays. Open at lunch all week.

In the area you asked about, I would recommend this place as well. Very good food and I like the hot BBQ sauce.

If going for lunch, be careful on what time you get there. It is a small place and can fill up quickly!!

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JT's BBQ is a very good joint in Del City, over on Sunny Lane between Reno and 15th. The wife likes the ribs and I enjoy the brisket and hot link. But, they are not always open for evening dining. I think it is only on Fridays. Open at lunch all week.

I'll second jts for good food and service. Of course I'll give first to Vans Shawnee Norman or Moore. Tim Moon the owner of JTs worked for us back when i was a kid. He is a good guy and runs a nice clean operation and really puts pride into his food. That's part of the reason he is open short hours... It is cause he wants to be there so he can make sure it's all done right.

As far as Vans, we are not open on Thanksgiving day... Bring us your turkey though, or pickup one of ours and you'll be the talk of the table come Thanksgiving day. Hope to sew you soon!

Latest posts

Top Bottom