Need some input on a gun safe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dakota are sold in tulsa. but manufactured in china. not local.. ( but they are good security safes. not so good on fire. )

any safe sold at atwoods,academy, sam's.. are low end models. the only positive thing you can say about them is. " it is better than having them stacked in the closet" but with min effort those safes can be peeled open.

do your leg work. buy smart. even if it cost you a little more money.a safe is a once in a lifetime investment if you buy right. do not low ball the value of a safe,because of the cost of the safe.

and typically the bigger the safe. the easier to pry them. so be really weary of the larger cheaper ones.

Good info there. I didn't realize that. Thanks for the update. :)

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
push on the sides and front this way you can get an idea of how strong the metal is, many fronts are very thin metal with basically a fire protectant sheetrock behind them, the thinkness you see is the sheetrock not the metal. i bet you i can put a pick ax thru a whole lot of them.

from personal experience, safes will hold 1/2 the number of guns rated for and allow access to them. mine came with a setup that will let it hold a lot more than 1/2 but you have to move the front ones to get to the back ones.

have not tried to move one myself, i paid the money and had it delivered. they did good job.

i also got a tumbler vs electronic pad based on the reports i have read. the tumbler takes a while to open as it is not like a lock you buy at hardware store. i have to go three times past my firts number and stop the fourth time i see it, two times past my second number and stop on the second time i see it, and once past my third number and stop on the second time i see it. took a while to get used to this.

i also had a rider to homeowners insurance that covered all guns at cost. pretty good deal. but you are going to pay more money in the long run vs buying a safe.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guarantee a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel will get in every one of them. The sheetrock will protect the contents from the sparks. punch threw the sheetrock and empty the safe.

But most theives dont carry an angle grinder with them.

I moved a 800lb safe by myself with some 1" pvc laid out like a train track.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do your homework before you buy. A UL burglary rating such as RSC or TL-15 only applies to the door. Heed what 2busy says. Buy the best you can afford. Protect your investement with another investment. Don't put $4000 in guns in a $500 safe. You're more likely to need fire protection than burglary, so get one with a good, above average rating. Always bolt the safe down. I have a neighbor that lost his safe and 24 guns because he left it in his house not bolted down. The BGs just rolled it out the garage.

TKNO1015s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the wall, top and side thickness then look inside at the frame around the door. Most of the cheaper safes will not have any fire liner at the front of the safe around the door. If you can reach your fingers back around the frame, leave it alone (most of the atwoods safes). Buy the biggest you can afford because you WILL eventually fill it. (been there)

BillMac

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Planning to get a Bear safe myself. Had one on layaway for a while but had to cancel due to money woes. I have moved to Sherman, TX but still plan to get one from them. They're great to do business with. I love the way they can accommodate more guns without the actual racks on the sides using their rifle rod system. Check them out. As someone else said here, get the biggest that you can afford. They make it pretty easy for you. Just put down what you can and make regular monthly payments; no time limit on the layaway. When you get it paid, they build it. Can't get much better than that. Even though I'm a Texan now I still try to support my Oklahoma brethren. They also use key locks instead of keypads or combinations. Highly recommend you visit them before making up your mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom