Advice on new EDC/Range gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Wilson combat edc-x9 my everyday carry, STI or Staccato. Took the SRO off my Wilson and put a Holosun 2 MOA dot 32 MOA circle for me the way to go. At the range today at 15' was keeping a 2" grouping (18 rounds) firing about every second, not bad for an old guy with Shakey hand and can't see well.
I have a Stacatto XC, just haven’t got out to shoot it yet. I’m getting back into shooting starting Monday. I need to start doing something again.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was watching YouTube yesterday and the guy was mentioning the laws of diminishing returns. I’ve got 4 2011’s and I don’t shoot competitions. Basically the guy talked me into looking at the Laugo Arms Alien Creator Evolution Limited Optics Kit. It looks cool, very innovative, should be fun to shoot and it’s so different, and I love the idea of having something unique. Also, it’s the newest version. Any thoughts?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I carry a Sig p226 Nitron (E2) everyday. I love heavy guns. I have a great carry belt and holster. I still have to touch my gun when I’m carrying to make sure it’s there.

Well then my only advice is buy a Glock 17. Hell buy 3 or 4 off them and save over half of your bus fare money!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was watching YouTube yesterday and the guy was mentioning the laws of diminishing returns. I’ve got 4 2011’s and I don’t shoot competitions. Basically the guy talked me into looking at the Laugo Arms Alien Creator Evolution Limited Optics Kit. It looks cool, very innovative, should be fun to shoot and it’s so different, and I love the idea of having something unique. Also, it’s the newest version. Any thoughts?

I don't have any direct experience with those.

I can recommend a Nighthawk Firehawk or Sandhawk, Atlas, or the way I went was a Chambers Custom. But that takes a few years. :D Not nearly as pretty as the others though.

You MIGHT want to shoot your XC first. Very nice guns. I don't see the 4K tag in them but very nice, and shoot lights out. At that price range, I'd take a stock Staccato P and send it to someone for a things and be done with it.

Or... if you want something really different.... then just get on SVI/ infinity's site and get on their gun builder and build whatever you want. Their work is next level.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Wilson combat edc-x9 my everyday carry, STI or Staccato. Took the SRO off my Wilson and put a Holosun 2 MOA dot 32 MOA circle for me the way to go. At the range today at 15' was keeping a 2" grouping (18 rounds) firing about every second, not bad for an old guy with Shakey hand and can't see well.

15' (feet) or 15 yards? At 5 yards (15 feet) it should be keeping 1/2" groups in that gun. At 25 yards I suspect it would keep a 2" group mechanically.

For the money he is looking to spend and given his weight and accuracy criteria (I assume he wants an "accurate gun" because he shoots fist-sized groups at 25 yards on demand and is looking for a gun to match his capability and not one to magically fix his poor shooting) I think the Wilson EDC could be a great option.

You might also consider a wheel gun. My Smith .38's are about as accurate as any pistol ever made, better than some custom hand-fitted 1911's. With certain loads they are like a laser gun and the weight would be there for you. Now everyone can chime in why the capacity is too low to fight today's modern super criminal roving gangs but as a civilian that isn't tasked with hunting down and apprehending people (or getting involved in 3rd party encounters) it would be sufficient in 99.999% of defensive situations you'd be likely to encounter.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, the people recommending a Staccato XC to someone looking for an EDC gun (which the OP claims he is) might misunderstand the definition of an EVERYDAY CARRY gun.

They are great guns but anyone who claims to literally carry one every day (other than perhaps a cop in a duty rig) is a liar. I said it, fight me. Now their new "C" model may be an option.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can’t shoot a Glock to save my life. I’m much more lethal throwing a Glock than shooting it.
Do you really mean that? I'm not sure how anyone with shooting fundamentals mastered can't pick up any reasonable full-sized gun and run it at least well. Now perhaps not optimal but I'd argue if you can't shoot a Glock 17 well you can't shoot anything well period. You might have just been exaggerating that you don't shoot it as well as other platforms.

I don't say this to be disparaging but to point out we need to think about what we are saying and if speaking accurately then understand the ramifications.

Once during a carbine course when we were shooting prone supported with capable 5.56 rifles one guy couldn't reliably hit a man-sized steel target at only 200 yards.

He said, "If I had my 6.5 bolt gun I'd light this up!". I would argue if you can't hit an 18x36" target with a roughly 2.5 MOA gun at 200 yards supported wit optics then a 1 MOA gun is not going to fix it.

Remember it was the Indians and not the arrows that killed the cowboys.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2011 with a red dot. Staccato, Springfield Prodigy, Platypus, Vuduu Priest, etc, with a Holosun 507Comp, or similar. The king of guns (2011) is making the a huge comeback over the last two years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom