Advice on new EDC/Range gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you really mean that? I'm not sure how anyone with shooting fundamentals mastered can't pick up any reasonable full-sized gun and run it at least well. Now perhaps not optimal but I'd argue if you can't shoot a Glock 17 well you can't shoot anything well period. You might have just been exaggerating that you don't shoot it as well as other platforms.

I don't say this to be disparaging but to point out we need to think about what we are saying and if speaking accurately then understand the ramifications.

Once during a carbine course when we were shooting prone supported with capable 5.56 rifles one guy couldn't reliably hit a man-sized steel target at only 200 yards.

He said, "If I had my 6.5 bolt gun I'd light this up!". I would argue if you can't hit an 18x36" target with a roughly 2.5 MOA gun at 200 yards supported wit optics then a 1 MOA gun is not going to fix it.

Remember it was the Indians and not the arrows that killed the cowboys.
I’ve shot damn near everything out there at one point. It’s been a year since I’ve shot anything, but I think I’m going to get back in the game. I’ve owned around 5 Glocks, and hated every one of them. Sold them all. Hate everything about them. My twin brother hasn’t owned a Glock he doesn’t love. For me it’s the only gun I’ve shot that I shoot like crap. My Sig 226 is the gun I love and shoot it great, same with all the CZ’s I’ve shot, X5 and X6s, XC, 686, Korth, Walther PPS, Sig 210 (I could outshoot with my 226), the witness, S&W, Ruger, Browning, HK, Springfield, Beretta, Colt, LPWS…..I could go on forever. Still can’t shoot a Glock worth a damn, hate them. Feel like trash to me. So I guess you’re right, I must be a newb because I can’t shoot a **** gun (and yes I know everyone loves cheap plastic). I’ve probably been shooting before your Mother was born. Not trying to be disparaging though.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
15' (feet) or 15 yards? At 5 yards (15 feet) it should be keeping 1/2" groups in that gun. At 25 yards I suspect it would keep a 2" group mechanically.

For the money he is looking to spend and given his weight and accuracy criteria (I assume he wants an "accurate gun" because he shoots fist-sized groups at 25 yards on demand and is looking for a gun to match his capability and not one to magically fix his poor shooting) I think the Wilson EDC could be a great option.

You might also consider a wheel gun. My Smith .38's are about as accurate as any pistol ever made, better than some custom hand-fitted 1911's. With certain loads they are like a laser gun and the weight would be there for you. Now everyone can chime in why the capacity is too low to fight today's modern super criminal roving gangs but as a civilian that isn't tasked with hunting down and apprehending people (or getting involved in 3rd party encounters) it would be sufficient in 99.999% of defensive situations you'd be likely to encounter.
Do you realize that you come across as a complete douche? Maybe it’s just me, because I’m not the friendliest person in the world sometimes, and it’s easy to take things the wrong way on forums. This is the second time in this thread I’ve seen you say rude things, and I have a low tolerance for assholes.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you realize that you come across as a complete douche? Maybe it’s just me, because I’m not the friendliest person in the world sometimes, and it’s easy to take things the wrong way on forums. This is the second time in this thread I’ve seen you say rude things, and I have a low tolerance for assholes.
I didn’t take any of his posts that way, only like 25% douche.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fair enough if you think I come across that way, I certainly don't mean to be rude and am careful never to call people names or imply anything about their person. When I say something like "you're a liar. Fight me." it's meant to show I'm joking.

The examples I give are meant to highlight what I discuss and how we have to use critical thinking rather than reciting absolutes or generic platitudes.

Can you cite what exactly was rude in seeking clarification on the distance, agreeing with his choice of recommendation with the EDC, and suggesting an honest additional viable option?

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve probably been shooting before your Mother was born. Not trying to be disparaging though.
Some men have nothing to show for old age but their number of years. I wouldn't try to win an argument that way as I'm sure there are people half either of our age who know more about a great many things and you have no idea how many decades I have under my belt and what I did in those years around this topic.

I wasn't trying to say you were inexperienced as a shooter, rather understand if you meant you literally stop being able to hit targets when you use a Glock or if you first are just slightly less able (which should be the case) and two just plain don't like them which is a perfectly valid opinion, they are far from my go-to gun as well.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some men have nothing to show for old age but their number of years. I wouldn't try to win an argument that way as I'm sure there are people half either of our age who know more about a great many things and you have no idea how many decades I have under my belt and what I did in those years around this topic.

I wasn't trying to say you were inexperienced as a shooter, rather understand if you meant you literally stop being able to hit targets when you use a Glock or if you first are just slightly less able (which should be the case) and two just plain don't like them which is a perfectly valid opinion, they are far from my go-to gun as well.
You’re very pompous. That’s why you’re irritating. I’m guessing you got beat up a lot in your school days.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re very pompous. That’s why you’re irritating. I’m guessing you got beat up a lot in your school days.
Lots of name calling and quips getting thrown at me. I’m beginning to see I’m not the one that needs a lesson in manners.

I never would have thought it possible for someone to be a Fudd and a snowflake at the same time but the evidence is overwhelming now.

ghickstx

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all good Bud he's right with that pistol my grouping should be better but my physical condition, I can't even pick up a martini glass with one hand without losing liquor out the top so I think I'm doing ok.

Last edited:

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all good Bud he's right with that pistol my grouping should be better but my physical condition, I can't even pick up a martini glass with one hand without losing liquor out the top so I think I'm doing ok.
Exactly! His problem is he doesn’t understand things like that. We all love shooting. Some of us have disabilities, some like me are older than time. Neither you nor I have to shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards to be good shooters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom