Advice on new EDC/Range gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly! His problem is he doesn’t understand things like that. We all love shooting. Some of us have disabilities, some like me are older than time. Neither you nor I have to shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards to be good shooters.
Forums are a hard place to have a conversation. The context to this is when someone says "This gun is accurate, in fact, I saw this level performance out of it" and then goes on to list mediocre performance without explaining that they are limiting factor and not the gun then it gives a misleading picture of the gun's performance. I sought to clarify the distance because I know I have said feet when I meant yards.

I do stand by calling people out for recommending a 2.5lbs gun (the Staccato XC) for someone asking for a good everyday carry gun. By any objective measure, this is a wholly inappropriate choice for that role.

Lots of thin skin and butt hurt here, has anyone been on the internet before? Fortunately, this is one of the few threads I've seen where the grumpy old man's club has come out in force to prevent anyone from perhaps learning something.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly! His problem is he doesn’t understand things like that. We all love shooting. Some of us have disabilities, some like me are older than time. Neither you nor I have to shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards to be good shooters.
He clearly said mechanical accuracy. Which is factually correct. You then inferred insults.

Mountains out of mole hills.

I can’t shoot dao worth a crap. It’s me not the guns.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forums are a hard place to have a conversation. The context to this is when someone says "This gun is accurate, in fact, I saw this level performance out of it" and then goes on to list mediocre performance without explaining that they are limiting factor and not the gun then it gives a misleading picture of the gun's performance. I sought to clarify the distance because I know I have said feet when I meant yards.

I do stand by calling people out for recommending a 2.5lbs gun (the Staccato XC) for someone asking for a good everyday carry gun. By any objective measure, this is a wholly inappropriate choice for that role.

Lots of thin skin and butt hurt here, has anyone been on the internet before? Fortunately, this is one of the few threads I've seen where the grumpy old man's club has come out in force to prevent anyone from perhaps learning something.
You’re quite the teacher. You seem to know everything. Maybe you should start your own thread to educate everyone.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well according to him, then you don’t know how to shoot.
This is perhaps correct, he may know how to shoot but has difficulty applying those fundamentals in practice to a heavy long pull-trigger like DAO.

This challenging aspect of DOA is what makes them such a perfect training tool for us all to improve our trigger press/pull. Spend some time shooting 25-yard bullseyes with a DOA revolver and then pick up anything from a striker-fired gun to a 1911 and watch what a dramatic improvement you will see in your shooting.

DAO guns can be shot both quickly and very accurately, if you cannot do this it is because you haven't mastered your trigger control and that's ok, something to work on but no one should pretend they are a good shooter if they can't shoot DAO well. It's like saying you are a great driver but constantly wreck if the road isn't completely straight or if you are traveling at anything over 10MPH.

If this hurts your feelings then keep doing mag dumps into a man-sized target at 2 yards and hope you never need to use your gun in real life because you might get more than your ego hurt.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is perhaps correct, he may know how to shoot but has difficulty applying those fundamentals in practice to a heavy long pull-trigger like DAO.

This challenging aspect of DOA is what makes them such a perfect training tool for us all to improve our trigger press/pull. Spend some time shooting 25-yard bullseyes with a DOA revolver and then pick up anything from a striker-fired gun to a 1911 and watch what a dramatic improvement you will see in your shooting.

DAO guns can be shot both quickly and very accurately, if you cannot do this it is because you haven't mastered your trigger control and that's ok, something to work on but no one should pretend they are a good shooter if they can't shoot DAO well. It's like saying you are a great driver but constantly wreck if the road isn't completely straight or if you are traveling at anything over 10MPH.

If this hurts your feelings then keep doing mag dumps into a man-sized target at 2 yards and hope you never need to use your gun in real life because you might get more than your ego hurt.
Wow! You’re a wealth of no knowledge. DAO at 25 yards LOL. Why 25 yards and not 100 yards? Ridiculous. Do you have a clue what self defense distance is? Man, just stop!

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! You’re a wealth of no knowledge. DAO at 25 yards LOL. Why 25 yards and not 100 yards? Ridiculous. Do you have a clue what self defense distance is? Man, just stop!
I have learned a bit for sure over several decades of paying for a lot very good instruction. I have shot out to 100 with pistol but it is more of a novelty, 50 is very useful especially when you then go back to 25 and it seems easy all of a sudden. Of course, you also start to realize there is no far and close, there are only bigger targets and smaller targets.

I understand many self-defense encounters are very close distances however, two things so you learn something today.
First the “average” or the “likely” scenario is not necessarily going to be what happens to you. There are plenty of examples where people had to take what many would consider rifle distance shots with pistols and were successful because they trained a very high level.

That gets to my the second point, if you train to an extremely high standard that gives you a lot of margin to sink down to and still be at an acceptable level of accuracy under stress.

It is you that has demonstrated you know very very little and that’s the problem with the Internet and forms, people who don’t even realize how little they know believe their opinion is as valid as others.

We don’t rise to the occasion, under stress, we sink to our lowest level of training. I would encourage you to get some high-quality training from reputable instructors so you stop embarrassing yourself without realizing how ridiculous the things you are saying are. You will, of course also likely greatly improve your shooting ability.

Latest posts

Top Bottom