Needed: Duck Hunting Buddy(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Due to the buck I shot on public land, and the reactions I've received from my "best friend" and his father, I'm looking for someone/a group of people to duck hunt with around the Norman area. I don't mind duck hunting alone, but it sure takes a lot of the fun out of it and there's the safety aspect that I somewhat worry about.

I have my own boat (14ft jon boat with 9.9hp outboard), two dozen mallard decoys, a mojo, and the other basic gear. I've been duck hunting for 4 or 5 years now. My calling isn't the best, but, I've been able to pull ducks in. I do have an 8 month old pup that loves the water and has performed some water retrievals on dummies, but I haven't taken him on a duck hunt yet as I'm still deer hunting through the rut. I don't currently count on him being an amazing duck dog, but he may come through, or he may be left at home.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sucks when something like a deer ruins a friendship. All I can say is that's a character issue and it would have surfaced in another way later. I don't know jack about duck hunting but if I did I would go with you and be happy you shot a great buck. Good luck.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread, but what did they want...........you to find them a nice buck, tie it up and have it waiting for them to shoot?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Bulls Eye, I agree.

Okie, I believe that's very close to true. I've hunted with them for 5 years, scouted alongside of them, cleared stands with and without them, and have become a better hunter. I thanked them both when I shot my first deer with a bow, and at the end of duck hunting / rifle hunting trips. I've always stated I was grateful during our times hunting. They wanted implicit thank yous after I shot the buck as if they had guided me to him. Yesterday, I was hunting in a spot we all scouted out 3 years ago and got walked in on by one of them. I then got a slew of texts from the father stating I need to go find my own spots and that I haven't shown them any of "my" spots (when I always had one of them with me while scouting), and it's one-sided. He said I wasn't ethical because I was hunting "his" spots. I could continue, but to sum it up: like father, like son.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen them take some nice bucks and it's always been a celebratory environment when they did. Little did I know I was still an outsider. Thanks Okie!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks!
I always let my buddies pick a spot i could care less where i hunt..plenty of spots and it is all a crap shoot.
Silly boys! They need to grow up.

I used to hunt ducks..when i was in my teens , then steel shot became the law.. I quit then but for a few years continued to buy the stamps.
I did not collect them just wanted to support the sport.
I never had decoys.. buddy did and had a swell dog we trained.

I goose hunted Eufaula on core land last year...Just a hide and wait thing..
That is the first time i have been bird shooting in over 20 years..
That steel shot sucks!
I was using #4 steel 3" magnums.. won't penetrate!
I have better stuff now.

Shot the HARDEST kickin' gun i ever shot last week an old single shot 12
With a 3.5" max turkey load over 2oz of shot!
That one will make you think twice before pulling the trigger again.
Yes i thought 2 times and shot it again..as it made me take a few steps back the first time..Thought i was not ready or something..
Nope..back steppin again..need more lead in my shorts.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol I never got the pleasure of shooting lead at ducks. Heard steel is extremely weak comparatively. My gun is chambered for 3.5 but I shoot 2 3/4 by choice. The Winchester xpert shells pattern very well from my gun.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got some winchester Xpert 2 3/4 #2 the other day in steel 12 gauge
have not shot it yet.
I got some extended turkey chokes for my 1920's browning with invector barrel.
the chokes were invector+
Had to cut 1/4" off the barrel to get the stuck choke out...That reminds me i need to get a jelly head choke if i can find one.

That #4 lead would punch holes in ducks like no one's business. they could be 55 yards out and drop them like flies.
I let a quail get over 50 yards out before i shot it with the other browning i had (it liked long range shots) ..turned that bird into dust..
I think my newest shotgun is 1947, got them cheap you know.

When do you usually go duck hunting?

Latest posts

Top Bottom