New bolt action rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tikka T3, sub moa out of box. Under $600

This is what I would go with.

Or a Model Seven in a 308. I have one. It very light and fast handling. Perfect pack gun in my opinion.

Howa makes a nice compact rifle called a ranchland compact or something like that. They are accurate little guns with the houge overmolded stocks.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Johnny and surjimmiy and akguy all have made good suggestions. The howas are real nice they have a combo that runs about 6 with a Japanese scope they're good glass. Savage 10/110 combos will run a tad less. Don't discount a browning abolt either. Next to a pre 64 win and a mark v weatherby they're my favorite action. I'm not a real fan of savage although I'm currently building a 6.5-06 on one. Remington's are solid for what you're looking for also consider a ruger gun site scout rifle they're making a stainless version now. I like mine well. But for optic and mount less than 1k a savage combo of some sort will still leave you with money for ammo. However if I had your requirements I'd buy a rem model seven cdl myself. I prefer a 700 style action over a savage action.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fair point, but I meant more if my scope sh@t the bed out in the field. I could simply remove it and still have a sighting system. And since I've found the hog hunter for $460 on GoG, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that one.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just had an awesome FTF with swampratt (Jeff.) Spent the better part of the day at Lexington slinging lead. He brought two Mossberg ATRs and a Savage 10, and because I didn't want to not contribute I brought my AR, just for fun. Had a great time, and again Jeff, thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom