New cartridge for 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m all for new updates and calibers. The problem becomes when they make it for a couple years and then it goes away and you can’t find factory ammo and reloading brass becomes hard to obtain. Then it gets hard to feed. I’m thinking that there’s way more obsolete calibers than there are current, active ‘popular’ ones.

Oh well, if you like it and want it, then buy it. If not, then just pass on by. Cheers!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m all for new updates and calibers. The problem becomes when they make it for a couple years and then it goes away and you can’t find factory ammo and reloading brass becomes hard to obtain. Then it gets hard to feed. I’m thinking that there’s way more obsolete calibers than there are current, active ‘popular’ ones.

Oh well, if you like it and want it, then buy it. If not, then just pass on by. Cheers!

Very true. Kinda the case with the .243WSSM that I’m so fond of. Winchester quit making brass for it. I was looking at brass prices online with some going for $1 a round.
It’s regaining some of its popularity with the long range folks, so Winchester made a run of brass a couple of years ago.
If I were to build an AR chambered in this new 6.8, I’d buy a lifetime of brass while the getting is good. I did that with the WSSM when I bought it. Still have a half dozen bags of brass that have never been opened.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't that the promise of 300 Olympic?

If your talking about the .300 Olympic super short magnum your correct. The cartridge was proprietary to Olympic arms that is now mostly defunct. There is still a small amount of manufacturing going on at Olympic Arms building parts for custom gun builders but no rifles.
From what I’ve seen any cartridge that is proprietary doesn’t do well on the market. .27 Nosler as an example.
This 6.8 is going mainstream production. I’ll be looking for someone to chamber an AR in it and do some reliability testing.
If it works out, it will be my next build.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If your talking about the .300 Olympic super short magnum your correct. The cartridge was proprietary to Olympic arms that is now mostly defunct. There is still a small amount of manufacturing going on at Olympic Arms building parts for custom gun builders but no rifles.
From what I’ve seen any cartridge that is proprietary doesn’t do well on the market. .27 Nosler as an example.
This 6.8 is going mainstream production. I’ll be looking for someone to chamber an AR in it and do some reliability testing.
If it works out, it will be my next build.

Like the Lazzeroni cartridges, they were incredible but never gained popularity....proprietary killed them, despite Savage eventually chambered a few for a very short time iirc.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But out of curiosity why do you wish you never bought one?
I read it was the most accurate chambering and had to give it a try.
I found it was more finicky than my .308 and the velocity was just not there to justify a change from my .308
It may buck the wind better but My rifle/loads were not accurate enough to want to shoot it far enough at game to worry about the wind being an issue.
I hunt with my rifles and need an explosive bullet and maybe I picked a too little of a bullet for the rifle.
129gr.
Could not get any 140's at the time. I really did not want the 140's though.
Heavies have not done well for me when hunting.
Yes they will kill fine but the meat damage is incredible.
Take the 178A-Max for instance.
Hit a shoulder and you take out both shoulders.
I progressively went lighter and lighter and found quicker kills and less meat damage in the process.

I suppose I could pick a different shot placement like behind the shoulder.
I have done that on heavies and got pencil in and pencil out unless you hit a rib.

Favorite is 155A-Max in 30 cal and 55 V-Max in .223 and so far the 87 V-Max in .243 is devastating.
Talking deer hunting here.

To get benefit from the 6.5 Creedmoor it seems I needed a long barrel 22"
I like my 18" .308 very well and it will send the 155's at just over 2800 fps with IMR 4064. That's plenty.

When I loaned a gun to a friend that hunts to feed his family i loaned him the .243.
He filled his freezer with that round.
No missed shots. All 1 shot kills.

What more do you need.
I feel I just wasted money on something that was no better than what i already have.
If I need more speed I have my 30-06 and it has sent 155's to 3,176 fps reliably and accurately.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read it was the most accurate chambering and had to give it a try.
I found it was more finicky than my .308 and the velocity was just not there to justify a change from my .308
It may buck the wind better but My rifle/loads were not accurate enough to want to shoot it far enough at game to worry about the wind being an issue.
I hunt with my rifles and need an explosive bullet and maybe I picked a too little of a bullet for the rifle.
129gr.
Could not get any 140's at the time. I really did not want the 140's though.
Heavies have not done well for me when hunting.
Yes they will kill fine but the meat damage is incredible.
Take the 178A-Max for instance.
Hit a shoulder and you take out both shoulders.
I progressively went lighter and lighter and found quicker kills and less meat damage in the process.

I suppose I could pick a different shot placement like behind the shoulder.
I have done that on heavies and got pencil in and pencil out unless you hit a rib.

Favorite is 155A-Max in 30 cal and 55 V-Max in .223 and so far the 87 V-Max in .243 is devastating.
Talking deer hunting here.

To get benefit from the 6.5 Creedmoor it seems I needed a long barrel 22"
I like my 18" .308 very well and it will send the 155's at just over 2800 fps with IMR 4064. That's plenty.

When I loaned a gun to a friend that hunts to feed his family i loaned him the .243.
He filled his freezer with that round.
No missed shots. All 1 shot kills.

What more do you need.
I feel I just wasted money on something that was no better than what i already have.
If I need more speed I have my 30-06 and it has sent 155's to 3,176 fps reliably and accurately.
Thank you for answering my question. I like your assessment of the 6.5 creedmoor. As I stated I like the 308 caliber myself and the 243 is a great often overlooked caliber.
Your experience with heavy bullets is spot on in hunting situations. But I have been experimenting with the 168 grn Amax. In my 308 at 2680 fps you are correct if you shoot behind the shoulder pencil in pencil out deer runs 100yds or more. But now take the same 168 grn Amax and slow it down to 1750fps in a 300BO and its DRT with devastating results Behind the shoulder shots minimal meat damage unless angling away. The Amax bullets expand and work like they should at lower velocity is what I have experienced. Working on a low velocity load for my 308 using pistol powder right now hoping for a accurate load out to 200yds. If it works as the 243 loads I worked up it will be a good deer and practice load at modest yardage. A bonus is during these times of uncertainty it will cut powder usage by 2/3.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the 6.5 creedmoor but like you just didn't want another caliber to reload. I will stick to my 308 win it will do everything I need to do. But out of curiosity why do you wish you never bought one?
Yeah, but you won't be the cool kid at the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom