New guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to buy a couple of classic guns that have never been fired.
Browning Sweet 16 from 1946, and a Remington 1100 light 20 from 1968.
Both from local paper classifieds.
I labored about shooting them for the first time, thinking as they got older they would be worth more.
The idea of being "worth more" is subjective in my case as I buy guns, but never sell guns. I was thinking of them being passed down to my sons, and they can do what they want.
The more I thought of the dilema, the more I realized I was pissing in the wind.
Those guns are pretty popular, and the fact they are fired or unfired didn't make squat.
Guns are made to be shot, so shoot them I did.
I have fallen in love with the Sweet 16 Browning. When I shoulder that gun, something falls from the sky. I have some guns that are WAY more expensive, and do shoot them too, but if somebody says "lets go hunting and there isn't many birds, so every shot will count", the sweet 16 comes out of the safe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cohiba, those are some fine looking shooting irons.
I have some SXS shotguns that have been custom engraved.
I do not care for semi-auto's with engraving, nor rack style shotguns.
SXS shotguns and OU shotguns look better with the engraving as well as the revolvers.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I have it I will shoot it. Dennis, I would have done the same thing. I got a tongue lashing from a guy at the range that saw me shooting a mint Colt Lightning. He said he had one and knew it was valuable...and that I was stupid for shooting it and reducing its value. Hmm, I told him I was doing my part to ensure that the value of his Colt was going up by shooting mine. :)

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. I was at the range with my grandson, 9 at the time I think. He was shooting a Nylon 66, a rifle that is in near mint excpet for one thing, it has some engraving on one side.
A guy walked by and did a double take at the rifle then asked me "Is that your boy?"
Me " Grandson."
He " Do you know what that is he's shooting?"
Me " Nylon 66."
He " Don't you know what that's worth?"
Me " A Lot as long as he likes shooting it, not so much after it gets old to him."

I really never liked it much. It was a gift.
But, once they check in they can never leave. :)

Oh wait, I forgot, that was one of the ones I lost in the boating accident. I never much liked that boat either.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whaaaaat? Heck no. Never could resist the temptation. Kinda like a woman ready to go. If the opportunity presents itself its on. BANG BANG BANG

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. I was at the range with my grandson, 9 at the time I think. He was shooting a Nylon 66, a rifle that is in near mint excpet for one thing, it has some engraving on one side.
A guy walked by and did a double take at the rifle then asked me "Is that your boy?"
Me " Grandson."
He " Do you know what that is he's shooting?"
Me " Nylon 66."
He " Don't you know what that's worth?"
Me " A Lot as long as he likes shooting it, not so much after it gets old to him."

I really never liked it much. It was a gift.
But, once they check in they can never leave. :)

Oh wait, I forgot, that was one of the ones I lost in the boating accident. I never much liked that boat either.

That's a good story okietool.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't buy guns I can't shoot. There are enough things lying around the house that get bought and never used. Guns will not be one of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom