New guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Only one i havent shot was a fathers day gift to me. a gold enlayed colt 1911 ( one of 100 ) from colt custom shop. I almost carried it the other day...lol
I just cant seem to bring my self to shoot it. I want to keep it in perfect condition and pass it down for my kids.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any guns that I don't shoot.

Most times when I get a new gun, it gets a quick clean/lube and then goes to the range. The last carry pistol I bought had 400 rounds through it the first day.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good story okietool.

Most of the story is true. I think the boy may have actually been 7 or 8 (he shoots off a bench rest any way). I'm sure that wasn't the exact conversation, but it was close.
The only flat out fictitious part is the boat. I actually did like it up to that point.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot everything I own. Some of them though dont get shot much on account of age/condition/sentamental value/or being reload only type thing just about/or just not like shooting it compared to another gun i have (once they enter its hard for them to leave the collection.

One I love to shoot but hardly ever do is my remington model 12C pump .22. It was bought new in 1927 by my great grandfather. It has the octagon barrel and is the factory target model. The outer magazine tube has a weak spot do to someone modifing ot years back to accept a different inner mag tube. So the outer is now weaker and i generally dont load more than 5 long rifles in it to keep the pressure off it. Haven't shot her in prolly two years, I think its about time to get her back out and go chase some squirels.

Grandpa has somesort of commemorative smith and wesson revolver thats NIB never fired. I think the only reason there is that he has never bought ammo for it. He has never been one to target shoot and such. Or he forgets he even has it sometimes. But once in a while he does get out his 100+ year old english made 8 gauge double load a few light black powder rounds and shoot it. :D

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unshot guns are unloved guns. That being said I have aquired 2 guns in trade that I got rid of before I made it to the range, always wished I shot them once though. They were already well used guns too. Wear and tear on a gun is just a badge of honor. I don't care if its an engraved Colt SAA it gets shot at least once. A gun being so old it may be unsafe to fire is another story.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is anyone else reluctant to shoot them?
Not worried about them malfunctioning or anything, just don't want to change their pristine condition.
Are you reluctant to use a new screwdriver?

Guns are art, I'll grant you, but they're functional art: their beauty is in their purpose. To lock them away in a safe is to deny them their essence.

I've a Colt Combat Commander tuned by no less than Jim Clark, Sr., with papers to prove. The trigger is perfect, like the proverbial glass rod: if you don't cream your jeans shooting the thing, you're no shooter. What do I do with it? I stick it in a holster and take it to the range. I've knocked the bluing off of the sharp corners, and there might even be an idiot scratch on it. I've also won matches with it. Would I trade the worn bluing for the thrill of making her dance? Hell no. Call it "performance art," but damn if she doesn't perform.

A gun is a shooting instrument. A hunk of steel in the safe is...a hunk of steel.

(But, as with all art, do what makes you happy.)

chubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a quite a few guns that I have never shot. There is no particular reason for not shooting them just havent gotten around to it yet. I have my "favorite" guns that I prefer to shoot all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom