New Hunting ground!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger (Pun intended) :) and bought some land East of OKC near Wetumka. Only 20 acres but it is a very nice parcel. Large creek runs though it and there is a nice topographical profile. The road in is not the greatest but I will improve on that. :patriot:

I plan on using this as a hunting ground to get me started and a nice place to drive out to shoot. :wink2: MIght build there once the roads are more tame in several years.

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to hunting but I saw turkeys there running all over the place when I was there. Looks like I might need a turkey gun. :)

As a side note, does anyone load .300 savage? I need a source for those. :bowdown:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger (Pun intended) :) and bought some land East of OKC near Wetumka. Only 20 acres but it is a very nice parcel. Large creek runs though it and there is a nice topographical profile. The road in is not the greatest but I will improve on that. :patriot:

I plan on using this as a hunting ground to get me started and a nice place to drive out to shoot. :wink2: MIght build there once the roads are more tame in several years.

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to hunting but I saw turkeys there running all over the place when I was there. Looks like I might need a turkey gun. :)

As a side note, does anyone load .300 savage? I need a source for those. :bowdown:

First, I have a 7.7 Jap that has been rebarrelled into a .300 savage.
I have found ammo in McAlister wally world, and in a shop in tulsa.

It was a very popular cartridge after WWII, and was considered a wildcat at the time.
All of the major ammo manfactures still supply it, as there are thousands of guns still chambered in this round .

For the life of me, I don't understand why the US selected the newer .308 VS the .300 Savage. The ballistics are almost identical?

Me thinks a brother in law deal went down.
But, you and I know the guberment wouldn't do that.
But not many stores stock it.
I was impressed with the Mcalister wally world as they had two different bullet weights.
then again, they had ammo when ammo was tight?

I took a nice doe with the .300 savage last year.

One of my best producing big buck areas is only 22 acres.
Our terrain is different than yours, but to make a long story short, if you manage your property correctly, and get your neighbors to go along with a managment philosophly, your property will be a winner:D:D

Here is a pic of my doe with the .300 Savage.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0037.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It was a very popular cartridge after WWII, and was considered a wildcat at the time.
All of the major ammo manfactures still supply it, as there are thousands of guns still chambered in this round .

For the life of me, I don't understand why the US selected the newer .308 VS the .300 Savage. The ballistics are almost identical?

I was impressed with the Mcalister wally world as they had two different bullet weights.

Our terrain is different than yours, but to make a long story short, if you manage your property correctly, and get your neighbors to go along with a managment philosophly, your property will be a winner:D:D

Nice deer.

Odd about the .300 savage I know. However, everywhere I look it says they are out of stock. Have not checked wal mart in a bit and rarely make it to McAlester any more. Thanks though for the info.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's folks live in mcalester I will check and let you know. I am pretty sure I still have your number from the grill, would be happy to get ya some next time we head that way.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's folks live in mcalester I will check and let you know. I am pretty sure I still have your number from the grill, would be happy to get ya some next time we head that way.

Thanks! I would be grateful. However, just after I posted how hard 300 Savage was to find I decided to take another look around the net for it and walah!

They had it as well as one other dealer. :respect: Now begins the work I suppose.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dennis, that's a nice looking doe. Not to hijack, but what scope do you have on your 300 savage?

To the OP: It sounds like you have some nice land. Get out there and put feeders and cameras up and see what you have.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I May do just that. As well as plant a little crop there.

Is that an old Weaver scope? Here is the one on my Model 99 in .300 Savage. From 1924! (The rifle, not scope)Beauty.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_Range_009_2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom