New Hunting ground!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dude, gimme a PM! I will help you manage the land and scout, etc. All's I ask is that I can shoot a turkey every now and then! :D Seriously, holler and I may be able to help, and swap rights if you want - since that land is not too far from mine....

20 acres is small, but it's enough to hunt on if it's got the right attributes and right neighboring land attributes (plenty enough actually). On that little land, though, it can pay to put down a food plot and/or feeders, and fence it to keep the nincompoops away.

Oh, and congrats!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, that's a nice looking doe. Not to hijack, but what scope do you have on your 300 savage?

I believe its a Weaver K4, produced right after WWII. It doesn't have any markings on it to speak of, and am going by pictures, and the vintage of the rifle. Could be a k2.5 as well. The crosshairs are really fine, but off of sandbags it held a 1 3/4" group.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hell, I have taken deer off of my 5 unimproved acres in Yukon.

Of course, it is river front property. That helps.
Congrats on the new spread, I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter what you do with it.

:thumbup3:

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hell, I have taken deer off of my 5 unimproved acres in Yukon.

Of course, it is river front property. That helps.
Congrats on the new spread, I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter what you do with it.

:thumbup3:

Thanks! Can't wait to get back out there actually. :fullauto: Will bring some guns next time. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my favorite spots is 22 acres in the middle of a full section of agriculture. They use it as a hide-out when season rolls around.
There is an old barn on it that is about to come down, but the floor on the south end of the hay loft is still stable, so I'll stack three bales of hay in front and put a lawn chair behind them. Nothing but eyes over the top. :D

On small properties like this one, I'm thinking there are two avenues to follow.
Either go there constantly and leave lots of scent way before season so that they are used to the scent being around when you do go hunt it, or treat it like sacred ground and only go in when the wind is perfect, leaving no scent and so on.
I don't know which is best. I've tried both on this place, and have taken some decent bucks both ways.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my favorite spots is 22 acres in the middle of a full section of agriculture. They use it as a hide-out when season rolls around.
There is an old barn on it that is about to come down, but the floor on the south end of the hay loft is still stable, so I'll stack three bales of hay in front and put a lawn chair behind them. Nothing but eyes over the top. :D

On small properties like this one, I'm thinking there are two avenues to follow.
Either go there constantly and leave lots of scent way before season so that they are used to the scent being around when you do go hunt it, or treat it like sacred ground and only go in when the wind is perfect, leaving no scent and so on.
I don't know which is best. I've tried both on this place, and have taken some decent bucks both ways.

For the 1st time this year I'm hunting urban deer. I live in a new development just 20 minutes from downtown OKC. Behind my neighborhood there is a 50 acre field with some trees. Behind that there's a 300 acre farm.

Needless to say, there are a lot of deer. My take on it is not to worry too much with scent. Being that they are urban deer, they are used to noises, smells and people. I will still spray some scent killer on me, but I won't worry too much about it.

Reaction score
Hey sometimes, those deer "close to home" in urban and suburban areas are the best - usually not as pressured, they can grow big and are not as hard to hunt - AND, you can get there fast - hunt in the mornings before work or evenings after! We've taken a few with archery in little greenbelts here and there within OKC limits.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey sometimes, those deer "close to home" in urban and suburban areas are the best - usually not as pressured, they can grow big and are not as hard to hunt - AND, you can get there fast - hunt in the mornings before work or evenings after! We've taken a few with archery in little greenbelts here and there within OKC limits.

My thoughts exactly. I'm setting up my stand in August. I plan on hunting mornings and nights for an hour or so at a time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom