New owner of POF .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last night, I purchased a POF .308 on Gunbroker. It's the first gun that I have ever purchased, while the few I've owned were given to me. That being said, I'm hoping that I wasn't ripped off, not too bad at least. Other POF .308 rifles are going for $2400, NIB, without any accessories. The details of my purchase are below.

This rifle has a 20" barrel with less than 200 rounds shot through it so it's just getting broke in. This is a sub MOA shooter. It comes with 3 DPMS mags, a nice tactical bag, a Hawke 3x12x50mm illuminated reticle with 4" sun shade (very bright) mounted on a American Arms quick release mount, GGG bi-pod and manual.

I purchased it for the Buy It Now price of $2600.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

The only thing that worries me about the purchase was that I bought it from someone who has no feedback, however, I am also a new user and have none either. The seller is sending a Pal invoice for a money request (which I paid for with credit card) for the specified auction number. I wasn't comfortable with paying by certified check or money order as I would have no possible way of retrieving my money if the guy decided to disappear with my payment.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
awww.sepiamutiny.com_sepia_archives_Borat_happy_time.jpg

I like.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The seller is sending a P-Pal invoice for a money request (which will be paid by credit card) for the specified auction number but with no details on what is being sold or purchased in order to prevent P-Pal being the wiser.

With the CC you have decent protection- I just did the same thing. Worst case (pretty much) is that PP gets wind of it, and suspends your account for awhile.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet gun. I think you may be taking a considerable risk on the transaction, however.

Since the item you're purchasing violates the paypal TOS, you likely wouldn't have any recourse if you get stiffed. Perhaps you would with your credit card company but I don't think that's absolute. Paypal is much more powerful in the credit card game than your average retailer.

Have you thought about using an escrow service? Seems like it would be worth the extra investment.

Also make sure you're looking for and recognizing any red flags and adjusting your risk level accordingly. If something seems wishy-washy it probably is. Have you talked to the seller by phone? Is the phone a land-line or a mobile? Is his email address off a free account or from his ISP? Have you Googled all of his info (name, email address, phone number, etc.) to see if anything weird comes up about him?

I'm not trying to assume you don't know what you're doing but sometimes people get tunnel vision when it comes to the excitement of purchasing something like this so I'm just throwing it out there. It's free advice and perhaps even unnecessary so take it for what it's worth. :)

I hope it all goes well and you enjoy your new toy!

Bryan

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have spoken with him by phone and after doing so, I also checked him out on Intellius, ussearch, and peoplefinders just to be sure his address listed on Gunbroker is the same as what's coming up on my personal background check of him. The phone number I was provided was to his AT&T iPhone.

As for his email, it's a free gmail account. I figured I was taking quite a risk, however, it seemed as though everyone required a money order/certified check for the guns I wanted and I REALLY felt leery about doing that. I was looking at an Escrow service advertised on Gunbroker, and I'm computer/technology savvy but I could not make sense of the poor layout on their website.

Everything looks and seems to be legit, I just hope I'm not wrong.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything looks and seems to be legit, I just hope I'm not wrong.

I hope so too...that's a lot of $$ to drop on something/someone you've never seen, handled or met.

I prefer to deal FTF or, if that's not possible, with an established internet storefront/seller with an good rep.

At least you have the guys full name, address, and phone #.

Latest posts

Top Bottom