New to hunting/prepping huting area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp donkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the pipe feeders is the way to go if you can't be around real often that way if something does happen your not out alot of money.if that feeder is someones from another property you might want make your own and put it in a different location.but keep an eye on that one for sign the deer is useing it.if ther is a water sorce on you land try and put your feeder close to it that helps pull the deer in easier also.

who ever put it up climbed through the barb wire fence. So they knew they weren't on their land anymore. and I have put no trespassing signs up not far from there. they knew what they were doing. umm. I guess you could call it rifle. I have a 12 gauge with slugs that I got for hunting in ft. cobb. cant bring myself to drop almost a grand for another gun. lefties don't have much selection for bolt action it seems. and the one I want is the savage 10fp. but after scope, bipod (I know I don't need it)and gun. theres an easy grand.

Hunter_55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Swamp Donkey, My first deer feeders were also made out of PVC Pipe. I drilled holes in the bottom of the J part of the tube to allow water to run out. I have so many cotton pickin' squirrels and raccoons on my place I couldn't keep them filled.

I have been deerhunting every year since 1986 and primarily hunted around Talihina and the Talimena Drive area. I did not get my first deer until 1992 which was a 10-point (Now on my wall). With perseverance I learned a lot and still learn much every year. From 1992 till now I have always gotten from 1 - 5 deer each year. I have no doubt that you will learn and be doing the same thing.

I live on 2 1/2 acres in OKLA County just outside Choctaw and harvested my first deer on my own property. What a thrill it was to go out about 60 yards and take a nice fat doe. Good Luck on your own property.:Heya:

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
hey slugs work great. i now what you mean about the cost of riffles i want a 25-06 in a bolt action.but just can't drop 8-9 hundred right now.i used to not want a bolt but after i bought my rem 700 bdl 30-06 i would not trade it for nothing. i got into bow hunting about 15 years ago but just killed my first one with my bow last year it was a doe.i now what you about being left handed my cousin can't hardly find a gun that he can use.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 55 gal.feeders with a timer.I use clean corn, i have very good luck using that.I tried gravity feeders but the deer could and would come and eat at all hours(trail cameras showed me that)I also use bump feeders which are easy and cheap to make.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 55 gal.feeders with a timer.I use clean corn, i have very good luck using that.I tried gravity feeders but the deer could and would come and eat at all hours(trail cameras showed me that)I also use bump feeders which are easy and cheap to make.

Thats the problem with gravity feeders. Every critter in the woods comes and feeds off of them. If you buy a programable feeder you can make it throw only in the morning about 30 minutes before legal shooting time, and it will condition them to come to the feeder, and be comfortable while eating the corn when the sun comes up.
That being said, in 20+ years of using feeders, I've never killed a mature buck off of a feeder. They are really nocturnal except during rut and they might show up in the daylight. Feeders are used to attract does in my area, and knowing that the big bucks will only come to a feeder or a food plot during the night, I try to set up 100-200 yds inside of the feeder in the woods where they stage before going out to feed. If you use a trail camera, you'll see where I'm coming from."D

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
yea those older bucks travel more at night. i have several pics to prove that.you will get some year to two year old bucks that will move during the day. but when the rut starts if you can keep does close to your feeder then those older bucks will start coming closer.just put your stand out futher so you can see the whole area better. usually i will move back 100 - 150 yards and try to get higher up to see better.those old bucks will move better at earlylight or right before it gets dark at dusk. i,ve killed more at early light then of evening. try to find the trails they travel more and put your feeders close to them. bucks will almost allways travel the same trail that the does travel.

swamp donkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
last year I spotted I massive SOB about 1K yds out. had about a 14pt. rack. and be damned as soon as I lowered the spotting scope, he looked at me and walked off. I tried following him for about two hours just to see where he was going, but in the end. he lost me. smart ass deer. and that was about 2 in the afternoon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom