New TV......LED or LCD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me LED and LCD are really "bright", my Panasonic plasma has rich, realistic color, as others have said, it does depend on the room.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best buy does price matching (of authorized retailers) and typically has a 3 year no interest on purchase of TV's >$999.99 . After you look elsewhere, feel free to buy there. Don't let them shag you with an extended warranty or anything. The calibration may be needed, but many other places will do it much cheaper than best buy. I got my 46" LED 6000 series 1.5 years ago for 1200 during back friday. It was originally 2200 back then. We recently got a 32" Samsung LED for our bedroom that cost $649 after we got a $100 discount.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me LED and LCD are really "bright", my Panasonic plasma has rich, realistic color, as others have said, it does depend on the room.

They will be bright in store. When you turn everything down from max, things get much much better. Next, you have to adjust it to your room lighting. Professional calibration devices can do this, or you can do it manually via the settings. I just refer to tech blogs and use their advised settings for the room type and everything has looked much much better.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
<snip>Some rules of thumb:
<32" TV you don't need anything greater than 720p/i hi definition. The screen is small enough you will hardly tell the difference between 1080p/i.
=32" or greater, you will want to go 1080.
<snip>

I agree with everything except the part above. If you are going to hook up a computer and use the TV as a large monitor I would go for the 1080 resolution. If you are not going to do that, then I agree with the 720.

joshuasmaximus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI to TV hunters: LED and LCD TVs are both LCD. The difference is in the back lighting. Traditional LCD displays use a single CFL to provide light and LED uses multiple LEDs. The actual panel is still LCD. The advantage that LED provides is in color reproduction and longevity. The disadvantage is that LEDs can't dim whereas CFL lights can. LED approximates dimming by flashing at various speeds. This means that CFL based displays usually have better blacks VS LED's everything else.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vizio makes an excellent LCD and LED TV.

I would not buy an LED TV unless it was backlit and not edge lit. You get true local dimming only with backlit.

I have LCD, LED, and DLP at my home. I love them all. Fixing to probably get a new 73" DLP for the upcoming football season.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not buy a Vizio!!! When my Vizio LCD crapped out after 13 months, I went online and found hundreds of other buyers who had the same experience. I have two Panasonic plasmas and they are really good tvs. I also have a Samsung LED and love the picture. I had a Samsung LCD in the past that was a good tv. As several others have stated, I would go with Panasonic for Plasma and Samsung for LED. I would also recommend LED first, then Plasma and then LCD

Latest posts

Top Bottom