Newbie Hunting Rifle Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to try hunting with his young son. So with it being that they may end up not enjoying hunting or guns altogether, what would be a cheap entry level rifle and caliber to suggest. I'm pretty tight with my money and went with a used Mossberg 100ATR .270 for about $250. Something around that price or less would be ideal, probably less if there is. He would still need money for scope and ammo and everything else. I'm not sure if he realizes how expensive it can get just getting started.

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that you asked for this suggestion...but when a friend of mine wants to get into shooting...I let 'em use one of mine first.
Thus far they have all enjoyed it and gone on to buy their own...but if you can plant the seed without them having to unass a bunch of money just to try...you may get a new shooter into the hobby.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That being said...I think the Savage Axis and Ruger American series rifles are about as good as you can get for not alot of money. You can also get some of them with an entry level scope already on. It wont be a sniper rifle, but would be a deer slaying fool.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would let him use mine, but then I wouldn't be able to shoot. I barely have enough time for myself to get out during rifle season, much less try to mentor someone else. I hunt off my buddies lease so I would have to take him to public hunting and I've never been to public myself so I don't know about all that. Hell, I still consider myself new to the sport, only two deer down in about 7 years. lol That's sad.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Savage .243

I agree here also. My first deer rifle, only last year, was a used savage 110 in 270 that I picked up from the classified here on OSA for around 300. I've since went all in and now own several in various calibers. The 243 I picked up last year is a great rifle, hopefully my son will be using it with me soon. Great for beginners and does the job.

Last edited:

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to try hunting with his young son. So with it being that they may end up not enjoying hunting or guns altogether, what would be a cheap entry level rifle and caliber to suggest. I'm pretty tight with my money and went with a used Mossberg 100ATR .270 for about $250. Something around that price or less would be ideal, probably less if there is. He would still need money for scope and ammo and everything else. I'm not sure if he realizes how expensive it can get just getting started.

So, it's October and they want to go hunting. Since he would have to buy a rifle, I would have to assume he hasn't shot much if any. So starts the perfect setup for one to be afield with a rifle that's been bore sighted and maybe not shot much. Without some mentoring, I wouldn't look for a satisfactory outcome. It's not hopeless (I had to teach myself) but there are better ways.

I would say go with something of low recoil like a 243 or 7mm/08 which the new hunters may not think are low recoil. A new Marlin X57 chambered for either cartridge can be had from CDNN Sports for $279.99 and that includes the scope base. It may be a little late to scour gunbroker.com or eBay for used Leupold scopes but a decent one can be had for in the $200 or a little less range. Yea, I know, there are cheaper scopes but using an inferior scope can be a very frustrating affair. After that, all that is needed is ammunition, rings and someone to mount the scope.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my rifle late in the season last year and was successful. Had the rifle out about 2 times practicing, maybe 20 rounds total, and then sighted the scope with another three or four rounds. If you've NEVER shot a rifle that's one thing, but if you've shot previously and know what to expect I believe you'll be fine. You say he wants to try hunting but don't say if he has any previous experience with rifles. If not, then Grumulkin's concerns are valid.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt he has any experience with rifle or anything. He's not much of a "gun guy", just an old co-worker that I still keep in touch with. I may just kinda help him get setup as far as gun/safety class/license. Then I have another friend that is really big on hunting and has the spare time he could take him out on a few hunts with him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom