NFL suspends Saints coach Sean Payton for "Bounty" program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's BS the Saints were just the team that got caught at it first and Goodell is making an example of them. I would not be surprised if the majority of teams had a player funded bounty pool that they paid cash incentives out of.

I think the sanctions against them are draconian and uncalled for, as someone else pointed out it's football for gods sake, there should be some violence in it and and performance based incentives are a good thing.

LOL at GTG National Fairy League.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Eagles did this against the Cowboys in the early 90's (1991?). The bounty-for-injuries rumor came out in the week before and supposedly the entire coaching staff was behind it--all the way up to Buddy Ryan. One of the targeted Cowboys was their place kicker; I guess injuring the opponent's kicker made tactical sense. Of course, the Eagles denied it before the game and cried crocodile tears over the accusation. The Eagles were righteously indignant and hurt over this slanderous story.

Then, during the game, on a Cowboy kick-off (maybe the very first play of the game), an Eagle special teams player crosses the entire field, bobbing and weaving through the Cowboys missing them all. On the replay, you can see him running for the kicker and tracking him down. As the play is ending, he finally gets to the poor kicker, leaps and crashes into his knees. He was not permanently injured, but sat out a few games.

Yep. That's just good, rough-and-tumble pro football. There was no follow-up as to whether the bounty was payed out or not.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's BS the Saints were just the team that got caught at it first and Goodell is making an example of them. I would not be surprised if the majority of teams had a player funded bounty pool that they paid cash incentives out of.

I think the sanctions against them are draconian and uncalled for, as someone else pointed out it's football for gods sake, there should be some violence in it and and performance based incentives are a good thing.

LOL at GTG National Fairy League.

I 100% agree with all of this BUT The Saints were pretty stupid by ignoring the NFL front office when they warned them to cut it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom