NICS denial act

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. All delays in Oklahoma are not reported to NICS. Some are, some are not. Fear mongering on OSA is a popular pastime, though, facts be damned.:D
The article didn't say anything about some were and some weren't. And this was just implemented last week right? By my reading they used to report name and state on denials. Not full info on denials and delays.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then splain to me why I get delayed every danged time. In my time of buying guns that required a 4473, there has been two times I got the firearm same day. I've won 6 firearms at DU and QU banquets over the years. All delayed.
I was given a phone number by my FFL that is supposed to be a number you can call to see WTF. I called it and got some welfare for homeless voice mail.
WTF? 30+years of being on delay.
Dennis, I cannot explain your delays. NICS doesn't tell me "why" anyone gets delayed. I know people with UPINs who get delayed. I get delayed. Lots of people get delayed. That's just the way it goes....

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then splain to me why I get delayed every danged time. In my time of buying guns that required a 4473, there has been two times I got the firearm same day. I've won 6 firearms at DU and QU banquets over the years. All delayed.
I was given a phone number by my FFL that is supposed to be a number you can call to see WTF. I called it and got some welfare for homeless voice mail.
WTF? 30+years of being on delay.
That’s crazy! I’ve been delayed 2 times in 20yrs, after the 2nd delay I called to get a “special” PIN. Literally on the phone with ATF giving my info to fax over the form and my FFL called and said he got a proceed, cancelled that request so I never did get that special pin. It had been one day, the first time was maybe an hour and was at least year back from that one so I was a little irritated about a delay for a rifle that ended up taking 8hrs of driving there and back twice to get it.
Never really figured out why, my last name is not that common. BUT I did run last name, first name and left out middle name and turns out there is a “copy” of me just a lot younger here in Oklahoma, different middle name and he doesn’t like to wear seatbelts while drinking and driving. So maybe that’s it??

Being delayed is just that, they randomly decide to delay doing there job.

There is a surplus store around here that is a FFL holder, they will not release the weapon like they are suppose to do until they get a approved. Buddy got delayed, after 4-5 business days he went to get it since that’s the law. They said he would have to wait on the form to come back approved and they didn’t care about the law they won’t release without a proceed. Just for giggles he said ok, call me when it comes back… over a year and they still have not got anything back and the gun he purchased is still in the shops possession…
I don’t do business there anymore after seeing the way they disregarded the rule, I have heard some major sporting goods stores do this as well which IMO is bull💩

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious if those that constantly get delayed provide their SSN on the form or feel that they shouldn't have to provide such personal information. Not that there's anything wrong with not providing it, but I noticed on form that if it is left blank then it could result in a delay. As many times as I've received notice of security breeches in the mail, I figured everyone knows my SSN by now anyhow so why not. Lol

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious if those that constantly get delayed provide their SSN on the form or feel that they shouldn't have to provide such personal information. Not that there's anything wrong with not providing it, but I noticed on form that if it is left blank then it could result in a delay. As many times as I've received notice of security breeches in the mail, I figured everyone knows my SSN by now anyhow so why not. Lol
I wonder if some of those delays are based on some FFL dealers, 'I don't really give a sheet', part-time gun store clerk filling out the 4473 wrong or incompletely? I know that you're given an opportunity to review the form prior to signing, but sometimes we don't always verify everything that was added by the FFL store clerk (i.e weapon information) because we are in a hurry to just get 'er done. I know that I've met some counter help that make rocks look smart.

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if some of those delays are based on some FFL dealers, 'I don't really give a sheet', part-time gun store clerk filling out the 4473 wrong or incompletely? I know that you're given an opportunity to review the form prior to signing, but sometimes we don't always verify everything that was added by the FFL store clerk (i.e weapon information) because we are in a hurry to just get 'er done. I know that I've met some counter help that make rocks look smart.
The short answer to that is "no". The background check is not about the FFL. BTW, the latest revision of form 4473 lists weapon information right at the top of the page and is there for the buyer to confirm he/she is indeed buying the weapon(s) listed therein.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s crazy! I’ve been delayed 2 times in 20yrs, after the 2nd delay I called to get a “special” PIN. Literally on the phone with ATF giving my info to fax over the form and my FFL called and said he got a proceed, cancelled that request so I never did get that special pin. It had been one day, the first time was maybe an hour and was at least year back from that one so I was a little irritated about a delay for a rifle that ended up taking 8hrs of driving there and back twice to get it.
Never really figured out why, my last name is not that common. BUT I did run last name, first name and left out middle name and turns out there is a “copy” of me just a lot younger here in Oklahoma, different middle name and he doesn’t like to wear seatbelts while drinking and driving. So maybe that’s it??

Being delayed is just that, they randomly decide to delay doing there job.

There is a surplus store around here that is a FFL holder, they will not release the weapon like they are suppose to do until they get a approved. Buddy got delayed, after 4-5 business days he went to get it since that’s the law. They said he would have to wait on the form to come back approved and they didn’t care about the law they won’t release without a proceed. Just for giggles he said ok, call me when it comes back… over a year and they still have not got anything back and the gun he purchased is still in the shops possession…
I don’t do business there anymore after seeing the way they disregarded the rule, I have heard some major sporting goods stores do this as well which IMO is bull💩
From what I've read on OSA, Walmart will not release a firearm after the waiting period.
One more reason I've never had my shadow cross their door in 5 or so years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it is in a round about way. This effort is a bit of an offshoot of us wanting Hunter Biden charged for lying on a 4473, it’s hardly a big deal, but it is being explained as an effort to fully implement current laws.

A perfect example of why we need to support efforts like OK2A, and be talking to our Reps, etc.
Exactly. We can't let the people in the "higher tier" have a separate system of justice. It can't be two tiered and be fair.
If your the "big guy" you should be held accountable as much as the guy on the street lying about a 4473 and serve some time as a repayment to society.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I include my SS number with every application. Makes no difference. Delay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom