"no need to give [...] Miranda warnings"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw something disturbing this morning.

http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/20...nda-rights-to-bin-laden-if-captured/?hpt=Sbin

So, our AG states that if Bin Laden is captured alive, there's no need to read him his Miranda rights (ok, I follow) because essentially he's given all the detail for the civilian courts to digest.

Wait, what?

So, so we're not going to give a non-resident alien the same rights as we have, but we're going to try him in a civil court. While the first part sounds dandy, combined with the latter part seems like a terrible idea. I'm not a law study, but it seems to me that if you start bending rules in one area, (we feel no need to read Miranda rights because he's already incriminated himself) what's to say that precedent hasn't been set to carry this to non-resident citizens or resident citizens? After only a couple of steps, we've managed to change significant portions of what protects us from the powers that be.

Now, if he were tried in a military tribunal, seems like we could skirt the whole issue (rights? what rights?) - it seems to me that that's a better place for such a person to be tried.

Is my tin-foil on too tight or I'm ignorant of the remainder of the situation?

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Miranda warings to a foregin national terrorist???? BS

Just give him a bath in pigs blood, wrap him up in the pig skin and then clean out his ear canals with a .45 ACP .......problem solved.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is my tin-foil on too tight or I'm ignorant of the remainder of the situation?

The Miranda Warning is only given in custodial arrest situations where the government wishes to use information gained during or subsequent to the arrest or detention during the prosecution phase.

What the AG is saying is that Bin Laden has already incriminated himself thus there is no need to introduce evidence that could be obtained during custodial interrogation.

In other words, the prosecution won't bother introducing any evidence gained after his arrest and will only rely on his past self-incrimination.

Given that any information that the government would obtain after his arrest would be of a tactical nature rather than an evidentiary nature, I don't think it's a big deal.

It does not seem to be related to the fact that Bin Laden is a non-resident alien.

Michael Brown

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought it was the previous administration that jailed guards from abu-ghraib.

Just who has the Obama administration prosecuted for doing their duty?

Not sure that you are correct here. As to the second, have you not heard about the SEALS that are currently under Courts Martial for hitting a combatant?

Latest posts

Top Bottom