Non-gun question for country folk at OSA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a large gravel drive at my rural property in Osage County. I've noticed that from time to time all of the gravel under the trees is brownish in color while the rest of the gravel is the normal/expected white/grey in color. I have a couple of theories as to why this may be but does anyone know for sure? File this under "things that don't really matter in the big scheme of things" but it has been a curiosity of mine now for several years.

It is definitely NOT a shadow. It's a definitely color difference in the gravel under the trees.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Per my wife, these are Post Oak trees and they do drop some acorns (which the deer love, by the way.)

My first thought was that maybe it was because it was wet and the shadow of the tree kept the ground from drying like the rest of the driveway but it when I saw it earlier it had been a while since it had rained. My second thought was that the trees were "dusty" and the rain washed off the dirt.

Thanks for solving a many year mystery for me!

Latest posts

Top Bottom