Not one of ours I hope.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are two types of gun owners in the world- those who have had an AD and those who are going to.

I’ve had an AD but never an ND. Mine was a malfunctioning Citori. When you closed the action the top barrel would fire. Not every time, but it did it twice and was repeatable without a live shell.

Only safe handling practices prevented a tragedy. I took it to a gun smith, he said he fixed it and I traded it even for an A5 at a gun show the next weekend. I never put another shell in it after it went off the 2nd time and the 2nd was done very carefully trying to repeat the first time to make sure I hadn’t done something stupid. Incredibly scary.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I seem to recall a gun magazine writer who accidentally shot himself when he bent down to tie his shoes while sitting on the edge of the bed IIRC. Seems the pistol (.32 Colt I believe) fell out of his holster or shirt pocket and discharged when it hit the floor. I believe this was in Arkansas some years back. Not sure what safety rule this violated (seems like people create new ones to cover each incident).
How about failure to use a proper holster for $100 please.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than once I have been handed a firearm that was represented to be unloaded, and it was loaded.

Best practice is to check every time, no exceptions.

In my experience, the most common offender is a muzzle loader left charged, followed by stuff with tubular magazines.

Just like Jakeman, I have also seen guns in gun-shops that were supposed to be empty and had rounds in the magazine. The owner turned white as a sheet when I pointed it out to him.

I don't care if the kid behind the counter checks the gun and hands it to me, the first step after I touch it is to check it myself. I have had a few young pups look at me like I am a dipshit or take offense at not trusting their judgement, but the experienced hands appreciate it.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can never grasp the thought of how this can happen. I'm always a wimp I guess about handing my gun. I'm super careful when holstering (don't want something to get caught in trigger), and when I take it out to clean or handle outside of when it should be loaded, I drop mag and rack several times / look down barrel. Probably overkill but I don't ever want anything like this situation happening.

There is no such thing as overkill when handling firearms. I lost a classmate in junior high school to what can only be termed negligent. No charges were filed but I cannot imagine being a parent and knowing my carelessness caused the death of my child. On Christmas Day, no less. 😢

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a terribly tragic set of circumstances in both instances this was. My condolences to you if the smith was family or a friend. I’m sorry for your loss
Forgot to address this. I never met the guy, but the event definitely had an impact on me; I can still remember where I was when I heard it had happened. I was always big on gun safety, but thinking that a guy who really knew what he was doing could make a mistake like that served to reinforce the importance of gun safety.

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 40 years ago i worked for the State of Oklahoma in Tulsa, one of the Capital Patrol officers had a habit of dry firing his 686 every night before his shift, he would swing out cylinder and invert so rounds would fall out the close cylinder and dry fire. one evening he did that and didn't count rounds in his hand ( one round didn't fall out ) he shot the desk and missed the guy he was relieving. go figure

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think of it this way: Figure your gun safety skills are average among humanity. You're right in the middle of the pack in terms of how careful you are when you handle firearms.

Literally half of humanity is worse than you.

Same goes for anything else we do that is dangerous such as driving, working on cars, etc.
Literally half of humanity would not be worse than you, if you were average.

A lot of people would be the same as you.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spotted a loaded .38 snubby laying on a table at a Tulsa gun show, back in the 1980’s. Could see the cartridge case rims in the cylinder side facing up. Charter Arms or RG maybe. Asked the exhibitor if I could pick it up to inspect it, got permission, picked it up, opened the cylinder, ejected live rounds into my left hand, dropped them into the exhibitors hand. He explained, with wide eyes, a security guard friend had just dropped it off saying,”see what you can get for that”.

Latest posts

Top Bottom