Now that muzzleloading season is over...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...did you properly clean and store your smokepole?

Did you thoroughly scrub the bore with HOT water and maybe some soap?

Did you thoroughly dry the barrel?

Did you wipe it down, inside and out with Bore Butter, Ballistol, or even Crisco?

Did you clean and lube the nipple threads with Bore Butter, Ballistol, or even Crisco?

Did you clean the flash channel with a tip cleaner or nipple pick?

If not, you better get it out of the closet and do it again.

If you cleaned with Hoppe's #9, or any of the other smokeless powder solvents, you better get it out and do again as described above.

Unless you want to buy a new one for next year.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No I did not. My Savage ML shoots smokeless powder:) But......................................in order to redeem myself somewhat, I have cleaned my flintlock. I use Windex instead of hot soapy water though. A BPCR shooter taught me that years ago, and have using that method for quite a few years now.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, extracted the bullet that I didn't get to shoot and gave it a quick clean-up.

I gave two baby does a pass the first morning and didn't see anything else the rest of the weekend except for a.... Nevermind I don't want to get ridiculed.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes sir, all 6 of my rifles have been cleaned. Id like to get a flinter but i want to build a sitting fox kit. Just not sure of my skills.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both of ours has been cleaned oiled and buttered ant put up.

Every few months I get them out and check them and run a patch with butter down the bore and oil the outside

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smokeless here, too. A good friend of mine has the Savage, but I went a less costly route. Not as pretty, or as complicated, but very accurate. Here's a link to the builder in case anybody is interested It's a small company with a guy who is very willing to help:

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

The very best thing about it is no cleaning required except when plastic fouling begins to affect accuracy, which is 20 or so shots with mine. Other best thing is no smoke. Boom--deer runs, you can see which way. Downside, heavy, kicks hard, kind of ugly (like I care), and long-barreled (can be cut off at cost of 25 fps/inch).

Sorry for the hijack, but I really hate to clean muzzleloaders. It really is the biggest reason i went smokeless!

Latest posts

Top Bottom