NRA's Carry Guard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can they decline to represent you for any reason? Say you're involved in a questionable shooting. One that looks doubtful it was self-defense.

I'm assuming they wouldn't cover you if you simply went out & killed somebody. I guess what I'm asking is can they decline to cover you if THEY believe it wasn't a lawful shooting?

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can they decline to represent you for any reason? Say you're involved in a questionable shooting. One that looks doubtful it was self-defense.

I'm assuming they wouldn't cover you if you simply went out & killed somebody. I guess what I'm asking is can they decline to cover you if THEY believe it wasn't a lawful shooting?
No, that's not for the company to determine. These are not get out of jail free cards. These programs are only a guarantee of a self defense lawyer is there for you and so you don't go broke from legal fees. You can still go to jail.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only condition I'm aware of, is that you must be lawfully carrying in a self-defense incident.

So don't expect coverage if you carry a firearm into a bar or post office, if you refuse to leave a posted business when asked, if you carry without a permit, if you carry while under the influence, etc. etc.

[EDIT] Also... they do not cover any "on duty" incidents where you are carry a weapon as part of the job (to include but not limited to police officers, private investigators, correction officers, security guards or security teams, bond agents or military, paid or volunteer).

Last edited:

CCF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, that's not for the company to determine. These are not get out of jail free cards. These programs are only a guarantee of a self defense lawyer is there for you and so you don't go broke from legal fees. You can still go to jail.

I understand. I'm just wondering if they can refuse to cover legal fees if they believe the shooting wasn't warranted.

Last edited:

CCF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only condition I'm aware of, is that you must be lawfully carrying in a self-defense incident.

So don't expect coverage if you carry a firearm into a bar or post office, if you refuse to leave a posted business when asked, if you carry without a permit, if you carry while under the influence, etc. etc.

[EDIT] Also... they do not cover any "on duty" incidents where you are paid to carry a weapon (to include but not limited to police officers, private investigators, correction officers, security guards or security teams, bond agents or military, paid or volunteer).

I'd be leery of joining if they had the power to essentially say "we don't believe this shooting was justified", etc., so they could refuse to pay legal fees. I'm definitely considering something like this. It would definitely be better than no insurance, but like I said, I'd like to find out if they could possibly "weasel" out of it for any reason if you were carrying lawfully & not under the influence.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom