Nuisance Cattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The court cases that i have sat in on dealing with this is according to the law is the owner of any domesticated animal shall erect and maintain a fence to keep said animals on their property.
Yeah, I'd gladly go on a "wild cow hunt" and enjoy the beef, but don't want to get into a legal hassle that makes me out as the bad guy. (I have a job, and don't have the time to spend in court defending my actions however justified they may be)

The other side of it is, I'm 50 miles away, and figure he's the kind of prick to do something retaliatory while no one's looking.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would property owner lean on him to put up fence? Threatening loss of lease?
Hell no...absolute trash single mom that inherited the land. Her last boyfriend was a methhead that I have no doubt was the one that stole some stuff from our place. I wish someone decent would buy it from her.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
from ya'lls responses to this it is understandable why most farmers won't allow hunters.
What in the actual hell are you talking about?

Some turd that doesn't take care of his livestock and comes in ruining my land (that's been in the family for 70 years or better) - also his dumbass cows are getting on the dude south of me, they've also crossed our place and gotten in on a good neighbor's place with registered cows - he doesn't want those mongrel bastards in there for sure.

This doesn't have anything to do with "farmers not allowing hunters".

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I *had* this problem too. On several occasions I let the cattle owner know of his cattle on my place. I alluded to possible damage they could do, ie cabin, bee hives, etc. He said it was difficult to fence because of the creek. I said I understood that but WE need to find a solution. When reviewing my trailcamera videos/photos I retain those that are interesting in various folders in my computer.....one of those is 'Cattle'.....building evidence should it be needed in some point. Thankfully HE took care of the problem and we didn't need to go to WE. Still on good terms.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was kind of the opposite here. The neighbor put up good fences but put too many cows and horses on his land then proceeded to neglect them. Eventually, the sheriff took care of the problem after several complaints. There are now only 6 horses on the 33 acres. At one time there were well over thirty animals on the land and in less than six months the land was striped bare.

We had a lot of trouble controlling the mud running off his higher ground every time it rained. Railroad ties are your friend when it comes to stemming a flood.

Woody

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the bigger issue is the landowner who will let anyone rent from her.
Even if you get rid of the current tenant, another one is likely to arrive and not respect your property line and the fun will start over again.

Building a good fence is expensive and not your responsibility but might be the most effective solution in the long run, unless the land sells.

Until then
Keep reporting infractions to the sheriff's office.
Trail cams are also a reasonable way to document the infractions.
If one gets out and causes an incident, you will be able to help prove who they belonged to and that was a known issue.
It will also establish that they are a nuisance animal.

I would not destroy (eat) his property.
Cattle are worth enough that something will happen in retaliation.

h4everything

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get lawyers involved. you are responsible for the fence on the right half of the joining property line. I know its a PIA but a 2 string hotwire is inexpensive and cost less than a letter or 2 from a lawyer.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a guy that leased some land adjoining ours - he has some wild cows that got on our place last year, he got them off, promised to build fence.
Here we are a year later, and once again I have wild cows on the property that I'm trying to manage for deer.

Dude is well known for this behavior - deputies had to shoot one of his cows a few years ago (it was out and about), another of his cows got into a car wreck. He leases land and dumps cows on it, with little upkeep. Total POS.

My lawyer buddy is sending a letter warning him we'll get cows declared nuisance animals if this occurs again.

Anyone else been down this road? What worked?

I have the same problem. I wonder if it is the same guy. I've seen his cows jump the fence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom