Nuisance Cattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a guy that leased some land adjoining ours - he has some wild cows that got on our place last year, he got them off, promised to build fence.
Here we are a year later, and once again I have wild cows on the property that I'm trying to manage for deer.

Dude is well known for this behavior - deputies had to shoot one of his cows a few years ago (it was out and about), another of his cows got into a car wreck. He leases land and dumps cows on it, with little upkeep. Total POS.

My lawyer buddy is sending a letter warning him we'll get cows declared nuisance animals if this occurs again.

Anyone else been down this road? What worked?
I did and did not know who's cows they were. I called the Sheriff and they came out with a man and they gathered them and hauled them to an auction ring. The owner finally was found and they had to pay handling fees and boarding cost. They never got out again.

Last edited:

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine that owns land says that OK, TX and xx requires that the person that doesn't want animals on their property to put up the fence. The cattle owner has no duty to fence them in, you have to fence them out. I could be wrong but that is my understanding.
The one with the cattle has the responsibility to keep his cattle in, if he does not he is liable for damages to other people or property.. Are the cattle branded?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My God! Was the wild cow shot by deputies involved in a felony, not complying with verbal orders and threatening them with deadly force? Was the one that got into the car wreck driving drunk or under the influence? Were these wild cows influenced by associating with the wrong crowd? We have to nip this in the bud right now! Stop this terror before Al Sharphorns arrives.

mad cow.gif

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting them is against the law. Not a good way to go.
IF they should not be there and attack, you can defend yourself.

Putting them in your freezer is where it dicey.

If they totally disappear and deny any knowledge of them, it is up to him to prove.

Crappy situation to be put in.

Make an offer to buy the property.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did and did not know who's cows they were. I called the Sheriff and they came out with a man and they gathered them and hauled them to an auction ring. The owner finally was found and they had to pay handling fees and boarding cost. They never got out again.
That is pretty much the way I believe these situations are handled and handled best.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having a neighbor like that sucks, and I feel for you, but the guys calling for shooting Livestock have clearly never owned Livestock. I’ve had other peoples cows on me, but have truthfully had my cows out dozens of times more. I actually have one out currently and am dealing with the neighbor on it, who is a stand up guy like the rest of my neighbors and I’ve been treated far better than I deserve by the adjoining landowners to me. I wish you had neighbors like I do, because everything would be easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom