Nurse arrested for not drawing blood...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be a bit naive, but I believe that MOST nurses take their duty to their patients seriously. She knew the law and what it required of her.

The damned cop was wrong and she stood her ground -- this is the one of very few instances where I think standing your ground against a police officer is a smart thing to do. She had multiple witnesses, not related to her in some way, her supervisor AND his supervisor on phones and the body cams of every officer there, as well as any cameras they had in the ER recording. I'm not sure I would have started screaming -- well, hmmm, maybe I would have but they would have had to bleep it all out for the cursing -- but she had a legal duty to protect her patient and she did that admirably. I personally hope she rams it home in a way he had never experienced and breaks it off after giving it a good, hard twist. No lube, of course. She also needs to go after his supervisor.

I would be willing to bet my last dollar and a cup of coffee he has acted this way before. Like I said earlier I'd sure like to get a look at his jacket.

Last edited:

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but IF she was on 'shaky' ground with the hospital administration, going against hospital policy [again?] might have been all it took for them to fire her. We just don't know for sure why she 'stuck to her guns' so firmly and just assume that it was because of her ethical convictions.
I'll hand it to her for sticking to her guns.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be a bit naive, but I believe that MOST nurses take their duty to their patients seriously. She knew the law and what it required of her.

So my wife a BSN in a Neuro Trauma unit.... there's never been a situation with a LEO like this that she's seen but HIPAA issues come up all the time. Honestly, you can't be a critical care nurse and not be tough. Hats off to Wubbels.... she works in a burn unit. They a special breed. Not a lot of feel good stories come out of there.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lawman wasn't on her side but state law, hospital, and police department policy was. She would have been more at risk if she had let the cop draw blood against the law and against policy. If the patient decided to sue, she risks losing her license and her livelihood.

Yep....but I think the logic here is wasted on him lol.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my wife a BSN in a Neuro Trauma unit.... there's never been a situation with a LEO like this that she's seen but HIPAA issues come up all the time. Honestly, you can't be a critical care nurse and not be tough. Hats off to Wubbels.... she works in a burn unit. They a special breed. Not a lot of feel good stories come out of there.

Yep. I was told by a nurse in the burn unit at Baptist several years ago that burn units are brutal on the staff and very few nurses last more than a few years. Fast burn out. Anyone who works in special units like that are definitely angels here on earth.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I was told by a nurse in the burn unit at Baptist several years ago that burn units are brutal on the staff and very few nurses last more than a few years. Fast burn out. Anyone who works in special units like that are definitely angels here on earth.

My daughter has 10 years in a NICU. I have no idea how she does it, especially after losing her first born at just past 12 months. Hell I tear up to this day at kids hurting and probably always will. We parents are SUPPOSED to be the inspiration for our children, but I... :bowdown: to her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom